VOGONS

First post, by joonicks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons,

Once upon a time as a reckless young man I spent a fortune and a half on my first PC.

The year was 1993 and what I got was a 486DX-50 with 4MB memory, 80MB harddrive and an ET4000 graphics card. As I didnt know much at all about PC's at the time I simply trusted the computer shop to give me the best for the money I promised to spend.

Turns out that I acquired something of an oddity: an OPTi Local Bus motherboard, and to this day I feel a little bit like I have the only such motherboard left in existance.

From what I understand, the best feature of OPTi Local Bus is that it runs 1:1 to system FSB. Ive heard some rumours about OPTi LB not being the most stable bus, but personally my system was always rock solid.

Over the years somewhere I exchanged the 1MB ET4000 for a 2MB S3 card.

Im wondering often about if there is other owners of OPTi Local Bus things out there and if there is any more information about it that Im still unaware of.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anyone ever benchmark identical video cards on the different buses?

AKA ISA VRS VLB VRS OPTI?

I’ve always been curious if there was much different

My experience with the opti local bus was with OEM motherboards that had onboard video and IDE on said bus (but just ISA expansion)

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386 board with an unsoldered OLB slot. I haven't bothered to solder it on because OLB cards are hard to find, and most of them aren't that great. I think at best you might be able to find an S3 928...or maybe a Mach32. I've seen special proprietary mach32s for other weird buses, so I assume one for OLB probably exists.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
joonicks wrote on 2021-10-26, 23:36:

486DX-50

If it's really 486DX-50, and not 486DX2-50, then the FSB is 50 MHz.
50 MHz was a major problem for VESA Local Bus, and so it must've been for Opti Local Bus.
You were lucky if you got it all working without any issues.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 10, by joonicks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am somewhat confused about the chipset. Im obviously not an expert on chipset but, I recall seeing the same chipset on non-OLB motherboards. I dont actually know what the chipset has to do for a bus to work. One of my maybe naive dreams is to pair an old 486 cpu with modern memory, bypassing the chipset and cache completely and give the cpu direct access to megabytes of 50MHz static ram.

Chipset on my OLB motherboard is UM82C481BF, UM82C482AF and UM82C206F

(Batteries have been removed, no leakage)

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no OLB chipset. There is also no VLB chipset.
They all are ISA chipsets. (Except in combination with EISA or PCI)

Since they are a smart connection to the 486 FSB, OLB/VLB just needs some extra pins to the slot plus some extra logic.

Reply 7 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I do own some OLB stuff.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 8 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-11-23, 20:45:

The second card is probably not OLB. It just seems to be a CPU card that shares the same connector type. You can see on the motherboard the slot that says "for CPU module only".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-11-24, 15:19:
HanJammer wrote on 2022-11-23, 20:45:

The second card is probably not OLB. It just seems to be a CPU card that shares the same connector type. You can see on the motherboard the slot that says "for CPU module only".

The second card is the cpu card for the 3rd card (=mainboard)?

Reply 10 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-11-24, 15:19:

It is CPU card. Showing the motherboard without this card wouldn't make much sense, would it?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg