VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
My LiteON IDE CD-ROM drive that used to appear correctly fine under Windows 8SE, all of a sudden has the yellow exclamation mark and no matter how many times (or with different drivers) I update, it fixes it temporarily when the Windows session is active, but I when I reset or turn the system OFF, the yellow exclamation mark reappears.

Also worth noting that this IDE CD-ROM drive is detected correctly by the system BIOS, also under MS-DOS 7.1 (I have multiple boot OS)

Please let me know how should I fix this.

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-11-06, 17:51:
Hello all, My LiteON IDE CD-ROM drive that used to appear correctly fine under Windows 8SE, all of a sudden has the yellow excla […]
Show full quote

Hello all,
My LiteON IDE CD-ROM drive that used to appear correctly fine under Windows 8SE, all of a sudden has the yellow exclamation mark and no matter how many times (or with different drivers) I update, it fixes it temporarily when the Windows session is active, but I when I reset or turn the system OFF, the yellow exclamation mark reappears.

Also worth noting that this IDE CD-ROM drive is detected correctly by the system BIOS, also under MS-DOS 7.1 (I have multiple boot OS)

Please let me know how should I fix this.

Thanks!

What does Device Manager state the problem is? Usually you get a summary when you double-click on the device entry.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed.
"Error CODE 10
Try upgrading the device drivers for this device"

It recommends to update the driver, and when I do, it does it again upon the next reset.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the CDROM work OK booting to DOS 7?
Have you changed anything in the Windows Config.sys or Autoexec.bat ?
Loading a DOS CDROM driver can conflict with the Windows Protected mode driver (is why Windows install rems the MSCDEX line out of auto bat)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check also for things like a soundcard CDROM IDE interface spontaneously re-enabling itself or something if you've got it plugged into a motherboard port.

(BTW that can happen on some cards that don't have the header installed even.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-11-06, 20:31:

Does the CDROM work OK booting to DOS 7?
Have you changed anything in the Windows Config.sys or Autoexec.bat ?
Loading a DOS CDROM driver can conflict with the Windows Protected mode driver (is why Windows install rems the MSCDEX line out of auto bat)

Yes
No

Reply 6 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, let me explain further:
I am using System Commander 2000, and have an option to boot from the following OS:

DOS 7.1
Win98SE
Windows ME
Windows 2000 Professional

This IDE CD-ROM is recognized under DOS, WinME and Windows 2000. It is only under Win98SE that has issue with it, and this is something that just happened recently, as it was working even under Win98SE since last year that I have installed the OS.

UPDATES:

1) I re-installed Win98SE, and it is still not recognized (the Intel BX INF drivers installs the primary fifo and secondary fifo drivers, but the yellow exclamation still remains.

2) I swapped this IDE CD-ROM with another good one that I know it works, and I still get the yellow exclamation.

3) Tested this newly swapped CD-ROM under DOS, WinME and Win2K, and it works with no issue.

This is driving me nuts...

Reply 7 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I found the culprit:

It was the size of the CF card installed on Secondary IDE: previously I had a 32GB Industrial CF card as my gaming 'hard-drive', and I did not have this yellow exclamation.

Recently, I cloned this drive to a bigger, 64GB Industrial CF (exact same make and model, Transcend), and I get this yellow exclamation mark on it.

Again it is only in Win98SE, as WinME/Win2K/DOS has no issues detecting this 64GB CF card.

Essentially this larger drive (set as master), makes the secondary slave drive (my IDE CD-ROM) undetectable under Windows 98SE.

Reply 8 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-11-07, 01:48:
OK, I found the culprit: […]
Show full quote

OK, I found the culprit:

It was the size of the CF card installed on Secondary IDE: previously I had a 32GB Industrial CF card as my gaming 'hard-drive', and I did not have this yellow exclamation.

Recently, I cloned this drive to a bigger, 64GB Industrial CF (exact same make and model, Transcend), and I get this yellow exclamation mark on it.

Again it is only in Win98SE, as WinME/Win2K/DOS has no issues detecting this 64GB CF card.

Essentially this larger drive, make the secondary slave drive (IDE CD-ROM) undetectable under Windows 98SE.

Well ! You never mentioned you made some changes and also never mentioned you also had a CF card. From your first post sounded like things were exact same as a year ago....just a CDROM 🤣
😁 Glad you figured it out.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you! Still I wanted to learn why a larger drive would created this issue.