VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so I have a Dell Optiplex GX Pro that I got off of OfferUp. I tried powering it up today and on initial boot I got the error message "Terminator/processor card not installed! System HALTED!" and it won't boot.

This system has a Pentium Pro 200 CPU. It also has a microprocessor add-in card slot to the left of the CPU, which looks very much like a Slot 1 slot.

Apparently I need to have the processor card or a terminator card installed. I don't have either.

Does anyone know where I can find either one, or what the part numbers would be?

I did find a Terminator card on eBay, a Foxconn TC7133 S1 Rev A Slot 1 Pentium II III CPU Terminator Spacer Card/Card. Here is the link to the auction if you want to take a look https://www.ebay.com/itm/274931295616?hash=it … XwAAOSwR3tcMWQD. It says it is for a Pentium II or III system, but will this work with my Pentium Pro system too?

I have attached a photo of the slot.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tegrady wrote on 2021-11-07, 14:14:
OK, so I have a Dell Optiplex GX Pro that I got off of OfferUp. I tried powering it up today and on initial boot I got the erro […]
Show full quote

OK, so I have a Dell Optiplex GX Pro that I got off of OfferUp. I tried powering it up today and on initial boot I got the error message "Terminator/processor card not installed! System HALTED!" and it won't boot.

This system has a Pentium Pro 200 CPU. It also has a microprocessor add-in card slot to the left of the CPU, which looks very much like a Slot 1 slot.

Apparently I need to have the processor card or a terminator card installed. I don't have either.

Does anyone know where I can find either one, or what the part numbers would be?

I did find a Terminator card on eBay, a Foxconn TC7133 S1 Rev A Slot 1 Pentium II III CPU Terminator Spacer Card/Card. Here is the link to the auction if you want to take a look https://www.ebay.com/itm/274931295616?hash=it … XwAAOSwR3tcMWQD. It says it is for a Pentium II or III system, but will this work with my Pentium Pro system too?

Thanks!

Can't find an official parts list for the GX Pro - the page is linked on Wayback but was never archived, so the following should be treated with due caution.

A Google search indicates that the terminator card is Dell P/N 00009714, and this seems the clearest pic I could find of the same (other links without pics also refer to this number as a Dell terminator card). If this is right, then there seems to be a company in the US with the refurb part in stock (at a price!!!)

https://directmacro.com/9714-0dell-optiplex-g … -178587277.html

Dell GXPro Terminator Card.jpg
Filename
File size
221.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Suspect the processor upgrade board will be a trickier find though - Dell being Dell, I think it was sold as an upgrade kit rather than a separate board so probably included board + processor / cooler + tool to pull the existing terminator card (referenced in one of the manuals). Google didn't help any so I don't even have any speculative P/Ns to quote.

If you check out the zipped pics at the end of this post - Re: Speed of a Retro PC - you see some shots where the upgrade is installed.

Reply 2 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-08, 06:16:
Can't find an official parts list for the GX Pro - the page is linked on Wayback but was never archived, so the following should […]
Show full quote
tegrady wrote on 2021-11-07, 14:14:
OK, so I have a Dell Optiplex GX Pro that I got off of OfferUp. I tried powering it up today and on initial boot I got the erro […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Can't find an official parts list for the GX Pro - the page is linked on Wayback but was never archived, so the following should be treated with due caution.

A Google search indicates that the terminator card is Dell P/N 00009714, and this seems the clearest pic I could find of the same (other links without pics also refer to this number as a Dell terminator card). If this is right, then there seems to be a company in the US with the refurb part in stock (at a price!!!)

https://directmacro.com/9714-0dell-optiplex-g … -178587277.html

Suspect the processor upgrade board will be a trickier find though - Dell being Dell, I think it was sold as an upgrade kit rather than a separate board so probably included board + processor / cooler + tool to pull the existing terminator card (referenced in one of the manuals). Google didn't help any so I don't even have any speculative P/Ns to quote.

If you check out the zipped pics at the end of this post - Re: Speed of a Retro PC - you see some shots where the upgrade is installed.

I found another terminator card on eBay, but it is not a Dell branded part. It's a Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055. It was super cheap, so if it doesn't work it's no big loss.

Edit: I also just found a Dell 9912P Slot 1 terminator card on eBay. I went ahead and ordered it too.

Any idea if either of these Slot 1 terminator cards will work in place of the Dell 9714? Or will it only work with the Dell 9714?

Do you think using either the Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055 or the Dell 9912P Slot 1 Terminator Cards will fry the board, or simply not work?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I might have one of those cards... I know I had one but not sure if I already got rid of it. Send me a PM and if I find it, you can have it for the price of shipping.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-11, 04:01:

I think I might have one of those cards... I know I had one but not sure if I already got rid of it. Send me a PM and if I find it, you can have it for the price of shipping.

PM sent! Thanks!

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tegrady wrote on 2021-11-11, 02:51:
I found another terminator card on eBay, but it is not a Dell branded part. It's a Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055. It was super cheap, s […]
Show full quote

I found another terminator card on eBay, but it is not a Dell branded part. It's a Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055. It was super cheap, so if it doesn't work it's no big loss.

Edit: I also just found a Dell 9912P Slot 1 terminator card on eBay. I went ahead and ordered it too.

Any idea if either of these Slot 1 terminator cards will work in place of the Dell 9714? Or will it only work with the Dell 9714?

Do you think using either the Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055 or the Dell 9912P Slot 1 Terminator Cards will fry the board, or simply not work?

Thanks!

It's neither of those, or any Slot 1 terminator you're needing - their single edge connector layout is completely different from the DELL part, so I'd suggest you don't try them!!!

I had another quick hunt around online and managed to find some old pics of the GX Pro board out of its case, including one where the correct DELL-branded terminator card is installed. To my eye it's a match to the 9714 part above, although this time you're seeing it from the component side. Hopefully @cyclone3d may save the day.

DELL GX Pro MB 01.jpg
Filename
DELL GX Pro MB 01.jpg
File size
340.23 KiB
Views
File license

I've attached it, and the other pics, in a ZIP for reference.

Filename
DELL GX Pro MB.zip
File size
2.29 MiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license

Reply 6 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-11, 07:30:
It's neither of those, or any Slot 1 terminator you're needing - their single edge connector layout is completely different fro […]
Show full quote
tegrady wrote on 2021-11-11, 02:51:
I found another terminator card on eBay, but it is not a Dell branded part. It's a Foxconn 6B-TCPH-9055. It was super cheap, s […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

It's neither of those, or any Slot 1 terminator you're needing - their single edge connector layout is completely different from the DELL part, so I'd suggest you don't try them!!!

I had another quick hunt around online and managed to find some old pics of the GX Pro board out of its case, including one where the correct DELL-branded terminator card is installed. To my eye it's a match to the 9714 part above, although this time you're seeing it from the component side. Hopefully @cyclone3d may save the day.

DELL GX Pro MB 01.jpg

I've attached it, and the other pics, in a ZIP for reference.

DELL GX Pro MB.zip

Thanks!