VOGONS

First post, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,
i recently won an auction for an Armada 1575D for insane 10€
On the pictures it turns on but has a power on password set - probably very easy to fix by removing the cmos battery.

However i haven´t found much more details online.
It has a pentium mmx 266mhz and 32mb ram but how about graphics etc. ?
Also does it have a cdrom drive?
On the pictures i could only see a floppy drive on the left side.
Haven´t seen the right side though.

Would be really cool to get a few more details about this model 😀

best regards,
Patrick

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typically the D means it's got a CDROM when it came from the factory. Graphics should be C&T 65550, 2MB EDO, yer basic SVGA card really, tad disappointing maybe but Thinkpads were putting neomagic crap in for 3D at the time, so at least you escaped that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
Actually the laptop came today.
Unfortunately, it came without HDD AND it´s caddy/adaptor.
So i´m unable to install an OS and check it out.
However, it boots from CD so at least this works.
FDD seems dead, makes scary noises when reading a disk, but didn´t test it any further.

Well now i´m looking for a hdd caddy, so if you or anyone knows the part no. or a list of models that used compatible parts, please let me know 😀

Best regards,
Patrick

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uses the same as the 1750 so there's details to pore over in this thread Compaq armada 1750

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
thanks for all the info.
I was able to pick up a completely dead 1750 and with the hdd caddy inside, my 1575D installed 98se just fine and everything is working.
I was also able to fix the fdd, the drive from the 1750 was working fine after cleaning the heads, so i simply swapped the drives.
Even the battery is still up and running.

However it struggles to play mp3´s for some odd reason.
It has a pentium mmx 266mhz while my armada 7770dmt with the same cpu at 233mhz plays those fine.
The major difference between them would be 64mb ram vs 144mb ram but 64mb should be fine with win98 i guess

Attachments

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, welcome to the Vogons Armada Armada 🤣