VOGONS

Motherboards to underclock Pentium 2

Topic actions

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We were discussing underclocking of Pentium 2. It seems likely that Pentium 2 <333 MHz made before week 34 1998 are unlocked.

I was interested in examples of slot 1 motherboards that can set the multiplier and fsb in bios and how far you can go. Maybe even 1x50mhz is possible?

Reply 1 of 34, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such motherboards use jumpers, in most cases. Lowest I could go was 2 x 66, on a BX board. Few slot 1 boards go below 66 MHz FSB, perhaps some LX models.

Downclocking a P2 is not great, IMHO. They can't go low enough through multi / fsb or they are too slow when disabling L1 cache.

I have two of those CPUs, hoping I could build 1 system to cover both older, speed sensitive dos games and newer ones - did not work in practice

Reply 2 of 34, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep both my 440bx boards can only go as low as 2x66mhz fsb - 133mhz was the slowest i got my klamath 266mhz down to. it was good enough for lucasarts adventures and jazz jackrabbit. didnt test 386 era games. by all means if you already have the hardware, have a go and let us know if you find anything special.

Reply 3 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-11, 20:16:

We were discussing underclocking of Pentium 2. It seems likely that Pentium 2 <333 MHz made before week 34 1998 are unlocked.
I was interested in examples of slot 1 motherboards that can set the multiplier and fsb in bios and how far you can go. Maybe even 1x50mhz is possible?

There are early 440BX motherboards that can go as low as 50MHz but it depends on the frequency generator that is installed. My ASUS P2B-S rev. 1.03 has an ICS 9150-08 that covers 50MHz through 112MHz.
I don't think that multipliers can be set to lower than 2x but I may be mistaken.

fsb3.JPG
Filename
fsb3.JPG
File size
73.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
ICS9150-08.pdf
File size
433.11 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 34, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe even 1x50mhz is possible?

Minimal multiplier for P6 is 2x.

It seems likely that Pentium 2 <333 MHz made before week 34 1998 are unlocked.

Deschutes also had 300 Mhz model.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 34, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-11-11, 23:08:

yep both my 440bx boards can only go as low as 2x66mhz fsb - 133mhz was the slowest i got my klamath 266mhz down to. it was good enough for lucasarts adventures and jazz jackrabbit. didnt test 386 era games. by all means if you already have the hardware, have a go and let us know if you find anything special.

This is kind of what I was looking for, alternative to the AMD K6-2+ speed throttling thing. For me it would be ok to set such things in bios and reboot but opening up the computer and set the jumpers is a little bit too much of a hassle. I don't have a pnp board or a unlocked Pentium 2 yet but maybe I will get one and would like to know my alternatives.

Reply 7 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some 333MHz and 400MHz Pentium 2s were also unlocked. These were Deschutes and not Klamaths

You can find some more info here: Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?
and here: Slowing a 440BX based PC

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 34, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-11-13, 17:30:

You can find some more info here: Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?
and here: Slowing a 440BX based PC

Regarding the Pentium II: I made a summery listing like seven years after these discussions, in 2017. It is in the 5th post of this topic. Click "show full quote".
Downclocking intel cpu help?
That is the CPU, the motherboard is another subject.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 34, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies. My slowest board is the MS6119 and it is supposed to go down to 2x66 MHz, but I looked quickly and could not find jumpers 5-6 on the board which is strange. The board lacks some fan headers as well so it might be a non standard OEM version or something.

I also recently aquired a Epox bx3 which has very nice self explanatory jumpers, but it only goes down to 4x 66.

I read something here that if you run a very low clock you wont be able to use L2 or something like that. Maybe it makes the set up too slow.

But atm I neither have an unlocked P2 or a motherboard that can set multipliers. Finding a CPU is quite easy but the motherboard, I'm not even sure it exists. The ASUS P2B-S seems to be your best bet but it seems to have jumpers. It might be possible to connect a turbo switch to it I guess.

An alternative would be to go with a low multiplier Pentium 3 or something and just lower the fsb to 50 and get something like 200 mhz but I guess it is too fast to be useful.

Reply 10 of 34, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you please provide these board names/model no? I am searching to get a 440BX board which supports 2x multiplier. Thanks

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 11 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Abit had the Soft Menu BIOS thing going on, so I think the LX6 would let you change multi without physically fiddling the jumpers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 34, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If flexibility is what you're interested in, then the best Pentium 2 (actually, even faster than a Pentium 2 when overclocked @ FSB 133) is a VIA Ezra-T @ 1 GHz. 😁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 13 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-11-19, 08:51:

Could you please provide these board names/model no? I am searching to get a 440BX board which supports 2x multiplier. Thanks

440bx ASUS boards of the P2B(..) and P3B(..) series all have 2x multi options via jumpers as far as I know.

Reply 14 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chaintech 6BTM also supports 2x multiplier.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 34, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-11-19, 14:54:

If flexibility is what you're interested in, then the best Pentium 2 (actually, even faster than a Pentium 2 when overclocked @ FSB 133) is a VIA Ezra-T @ 1 GHz. 😁

I'm not familiar with it, is it the cyrix equivilabtvto P2? Saw a setting in one of my motherboards for cyrix..

<- I am quite a fan.

Reply 16 of 34, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most flexible CPU in a Slot 1 is a VIA C3 Ezra-T overclocked to 1200 MHz. Has smooth scaling range without the gaps found in the VIA C3 Nehemiah. There are some posts around here with a Gigabyte motherboards FSB and CPU registers/ cache being controlled via software in DOS for slowdown. No need to open up case.

Even then, using simple switches to control dip-switches and headers is fairly trivial for motherboards without full BIOS control.

Another alternative is using an unlocked P2 and a motherboard that can force Write-Thru cache instead of Write-Back cache on a P2. This can get you smoother CPU scaling, filling in gaps around a fast 386/ 486 by manipulating other parameters. I think I posted something about this on the forum ages ago.

Reply 17 of 34, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just looking at the manual for an abit be6-II and it lists a 1.5x multiplier.
Though, I have no idea which, if any cpu supports this.
Thought I'd mention it since everyone here lists 2x as the lowest possible multiplier

enjoy !

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 18 of 34, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus P2b and LuckyStar 6abx2v. The Asus needs jumpers to set multi yet the Lucky star can change all settings in BIOS.

Reply 19 of 34, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:36:

Just looking at the manual for an abit be6-II and it lists a 1.5x multiplier.
Though, I have no idea which, if any cpu supports this.
Thought I'd mention it since everyone here lists 2x as the lowest possible multiplier

Maybe some exotic test sample once did 1.5x multiplier in an Abit lab. But normal Pentium IIs cannot do that, 2x is the lowest.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul