VOGONS

Motherboards to underclock Pentium 2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-11-21, 22:27:

Asus P2b and LuckyStar 6abx2v. The Asus needs jumpers to set multi yet the Lucky star can change all settings in BIOS.

Thank you! It looks like rev 1.2 of Lucky Star is the one widely available on ebay. I am guessing yours is the same rev.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 21 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2021-11-21, 23:27:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:36:

Just looking at the manual for an abit be6-II and it lists a 1.5x multiplier.
Though, I have no idea which, if any cpu supports this.
Thought I'd mention it since everyone here lists 2x as the lowest possible multiplier

Maybe some exotic test sample once did 1.5x multiplier in an Abit lab. But normal Pentium IIs cannot do that, 2x is the lowest.

Got curious and found this via some googleing :
https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/cpuspeed.htm

clock3.jpg
Filename
clock3.jpg
File size
291.9 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 34, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2021-11-22, 13:41:

Got curious and found this via some googleing :
https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/cpuspeed.htm
clock3.jpg

Indeed Interesting and confusing when I compare it to the dipswitch settings for the abit be6-II... which in itself is a bit confusing since it mentions 2x twice 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 23 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The table above also has a double listing for 2x (all low & all high) which is the same as in the Intel specsheet for Pentium Pro.
The clock multiplier on your board is maybe a different design. Can you see what marking is on the chip ? The datasheet may provide answers.

Pentpro.JPG
Filename
Pentpro.JPG
File size
41.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 34, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PARKE
I was just comparing the table you posted with the table in the mainboard manual to see if there was any correlation wrt the multiplier. Nothing to worry about.
Though if you want to dig down a rabbit hole, I won't/can't stop you.
FYI, the Clock synth on the be6-II is a RTM-520-39D

Do not ask Why !

Reply 26 of 34, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PARKE, at the moment there's a SL356 installed, seems to be deschutes though I have no idea if it's locked or not... though given the oddness I recently had with the board, it might very well be.

I'll give it a boot with a different multiplier.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 27 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We -have- to know, right ? 😀
Btw, RTM-520-39D is a frequency generator. Unless it has a PLL on board it is not the chip that 'produces' the multipliers. Is there a smaller chip with 4/8/10 legs in that region ?
ps
SL356 is a later fsb 100MHz Deschutes. An older 66MHz version is probably needed for this.

Reply 28 of 34, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PARKE? i'm confused. clock multiplier chip on a PII mainboard? Wouldn't that be integrated into the slot1 package or chip itself ?

if not... what model# of chip would I be looking for, for example?

Well, it clearly isn't unlocked, setting it to any other multiplier just makes it boot at 350MHz

Do not ask Why !

Reply 30 of 34, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forget it,
The clock multipliers are inside the Pentium II CPU. The PLL chip on the motherboard is for bus speeds, from there the FSB speed is multiplied in the Pentium 2.
I tried all the 16 possible settings with the 4-way DIP switch. Booted up and noted the result. Like I did for many CPUs. There is no 1.5x. Not for Klamath core and not for Deschutes. Klamath core has 2x multiplier with working L2 cache, Whereas Deschutes only has a 2x option that disables L2 cache.

For Pentium 2/3: The Motherboard sends the 4-bit Multiplier request pattern to CPU during the first milliseconds of bootup. It is the CPU that handles it from there. It obeys when the setting is supported, otherwise it just hangs or boots at a preset locked multiplier.
After those milliseconds the 4 multiplier request connections to the CPU change from their temporary function to their normal function. Meaning you cannot send a multiplier request again with a running system, because the interface for it was closed down.

Last edited by gerwin on 2021-11-23, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 31 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2021-11-23, 17:09:
Forget it, 8><CUT There is no 1.5x. Not for Klamath core and not for Deschutes. 8><CUT For Pentium 2/3: The Motherboard send […]
Show full quote

Forget it,
8><CUT
There is no 1.5x. Not for Klamath core and not for Deschutes.
8><CUT
For Pentium 2/3: The Motherboard sends the 4-bit Multiplier request pattern to CPU during the first milliseconds of bootup. It is the CPU that handles it from there. It obeys when the setting is supported, otherwise it just hangs or boots at a preset locked multiplier.

OK, that is clear. Thanks.
I surrender.

Reply 33 of 34, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2021-11-12, 02:04:
There are early 440BX motherboards that can go as low as 50MHz but it depends on the frequency generator that is installed. My A […]
Show full quote
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-11, 20:16:

We were discussing underclocking of Pentium 2. It seems likely that Pentium 2 <333 MHz made before week 34 1998 are unlocked.
I was interested in examples of slot 1 motherboards that can set the multiplier and fsb in bios and how far you can go. Maybe even 1x50mhz is possible?

There are early 440BX motherboards that can go as low as 50MHz but it depends on the frequency generator that is installed. My ASUS P2B-S rev. 1.03 has an ICS 9150-08 that covers 50MHz through 112MHz.
I don't think that multipliers can be set to lower than 2x but I may be mistaken.
fsb3.JPGICS9150-08.pdf

I have a brace of intel SE440BX boards for which the manual reports 50MHz is supported. I have not tested it yet, nor do I have any idea about the multi.

Reply 34 of 34, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found a motherboard which can underclock the CPU using the bios, tested by myself: Lucky Star 6ABX2V, it is a 440BX board, and one can use the bios to select manually the frequency.

I am using it now with an SL2HD processor, which has an unlocked multiplier.

I can select 2 x 66 in the BIOS, works perfectly, however L2 cache is disabled. At 2.5 x 66, the L2 cache is enabled.