VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this too new for this forum but is it possible to use SATA to USB adapter and SSD to transfer files to a Windows XP pc? The one I have isn't recognized by winXP at all even if the light in the adapter turns on. So I was wondering if winXP just does not recognize that kind of devices or is it because USB 2.0 ports dont provide enough power for a SATA SSD drive? It is just simple adapter that has no brand and if I remember correctly came with some motherboard long time ago.

Reply 1 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My USB-SATA adapters require the SATA disks to be connected to external power.
Same is for the 3,5" PATA connector.
An exception is just on their 44 pin 2,5" PATA connectors.

Reply 2 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Disruptor wrote on 2021-11-20, 03:41:

My USB-SATA adapters require the SATA disks to be connected to external power.
Same is for the 3,5" PATA connector.
An exception is just on their 44 pin 2,5" PATA connectors.

The Adapter works fine in usb ports oh my main PC and also in usb ports of my gaming laptop. I have also always kept the same intel SSD connected to the adapter that I have been using to transfer files between my other computers. This older windows xp that I use to play older games is the only pc that does not react at all when it is connected to an usb port.

adapter.jpg
Filename
adapter.jpg
File size
970.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try it through a powered USB 2.0 (or USB 3.0) hub .

That drive draws up to 3W (600 mA) according to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … s-34nm-mlc.html and pre-USB 3.0 ports are usually rated at a max of 500 mA .

Reply 4 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-11-20, 04:21:

Try it through a powered USB 2.0 (or USB 3.0) hub .

That drive draws up to 3W (600 mA) according to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … s-34nm-mlc.html and pre-USB 3.0 ports are usually rated at a max of 500 mA .

Thanks. Unfortunately I dont own any powered usb hubs so I can't test that right now but it is good to know that it is most likely a power issue and it isnt because winXP would need drivers or something to recognize such thing.

Reply 5 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically classic USB ports (1.1, 2.0) have 5 V and deliver 100 mA. After negotiaton with the hub/host the device may draw up to 500 mA in total.
Anything else is considered out of specifiaction.

There are lots of USB implementations that do not care about the specs and deliver more than 100 mA without negotiation.
There are lots of USB implementations that tolerate devices taking more power. (I hope they have a fuse at all.)
There are so called Y cables that are connected to 2 USB ports on the host. I consider this as a weird trick to extend the standard to get 100 more mA, that is 600 mA in total.
What I have noted is that lots of USB 3 ports tolerate more than 500 mA even for classic USB devices.

So if your port is close to the standard you may have luck indeed with a powered USB hub, as darry said.

So it is very likely that a powered USB hub may help.

Did you note any problem with other USB storage devices (like an USB stick) on that computer?

Reply 6 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens when you plug it into the laptop, does anything show up in Device Manager and if so what?

If the issue is lack of power then a USB Y Cable may solve this, the link is to one example of a Y cable and there may be a better choice for some SATA to USB caddies.

Last edited by red-ray on 2021-11-20, 14:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

red-ray, that's the wrong type of cable.
He needs a cable with a female type A and two male type A connectors. One of the male type A connectors just uses the power wires.

https://www.berrybase.de/computer/kabel-adapt … -0-30-m-schwarz
https://www.reichelt.de/de/de/usb-2-0-kabel-2 … 2-1-p55407.html

I'd like to add a comment to my former post:
As many mainboards use internal 4 port hubs, they have most likely a 2 A fuse for groups of 4 respective ports.

Reply 8 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Disruptor wrote on 2021-11-20, 06:47:
Basically classic USB ports (1.1, 2.0) have 5 V and deliver 100 mA. After negotiaton with the hub/host the device may draw up to […]
Show full quote

Basically classic USB ports (1.1, 2.0) have 5 V and deliver 100 mA. After negotiaton with the hub/host the device may draw up to 500 mA in total.
Anything else is considered out of specifiaction.

There are lots of USB implementations that do not care about the specs and deliver more than 100 mA without negotiation.
There are lots of USB implementations that tolerate devices taking more power. (I hope they have a fuse at all.)
There are so called Y cables that are connected to 2 USB ports on the host. I consider this as a weird trick to extend the standard to get 100 more mA, that is 600 mA in total.
What I have noted is that lots of USB 3 ports tolerate more than 500 mA even for classic USB devices.

So if your port is close to the standard you may have luck indeed with a powered USB hub, as darry said.

So it is very likely that a powered USB hub may help.

Did you note any problem with other USB storage devices (like an USB stick) on that computer?

I had 2 usb sticks in the past and both of them have stopped working and that was the main reason I started using that adapter to move files between computers in the first place since I did not need to buy another usb stick.
The system is a core 2 duo system from around 2007. It even has 10 usb 2.0 ports. 6 at the back of the motherboard and 4 in the front panel of the case.

Reply 9 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This whole thing ended up being my mistake. Nothing happened when I connected the drive because it wasn't recognized by winXP. I realized that it wasn't recognized in the winXP because saw that it was a GPT drive when I connected it to my main PC.