VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, i was able to buy a thermaltake xaser III case really cheap.
I was not going to buy it, but when i saw it included everything and for just a few bucks i just took it.

It came with almost everything it should have, even the 7 original fans , dust filters, and the fan controller bay and everything works. Acrylic might need to be replaced tho because of scratches.

Previous owner was kind of rough with it. most of the top part is full of scratches on the black paint.

and what i found strange was the bottom part of the case, it suffered of many rust spots, not sure why only there, only 1 or 2 more rust spots on the hdd bay but nothing like what it shows on the bottom part which suffered the most.

the spots were orange, but i was cleaning it with water and soap, and i used a steel wool to remove most of the big orange rust spots.

i was wondering if anyone has restoration tips on how to fix it and make it look nicer.
like for example on the rust spots, how do you treat this, maybe you use sandpaper until everything looks metal shiny and then you paint it metallic color. or you use other products on the market? Or maybe you use a dremel with the rust removal wheel, and after that you paint it.

And regarding the scratches on the black paint, do you normally use a little bit of sandpaper and then you paint with spraypaint black mate? or you can just clean and use spraypaint on top?

case1.jpg
case2.jpg
paint.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ammonia will eat iron oxide without hurting the steel (try window cleaner with ammonia but it must sit for a bit)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sand them back and respray with a color matched spray bomb made up by our local automotive paint supplier.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 4, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the Arcylic can be repaired unless the scratches are deep, what i did on my Switch 810 is hit it with 80 grit, then 240, then 800, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000, then 3000 grit, then hit it with a polishing compound like you'd use on headlights and it looks new

Reply 4 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the rust, I would use Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then top-coat it with whatever you want.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops- … 69830/202056392

I have a case that had so much rust that some parts were eaten through. The outer shell of the case is plastic so it didn't matter that some of the innards were eaten up.

Cleaned it up the best I could and then used the Rustoleum primer and then spray painted it black.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK