VOGONS

First post, by Susanin79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

Recently I bought a nice IBM PC XT 5160 in a quite good condition for it's age. One of the issues I faced with this PC is that it constantly boot with the BIOS post video adapter error - 1 long beep then 2 short beeps.
I tried several video adapters that I have (5 different EGA and 3 VGA, unfortunately CGA card that came with this PC does not work yet, and I has no MDA card to test), with the corresponding dip switch settings for this types of adapters. I was able to get a clean picture, but the system continue to boot with this beeps.
Performing some tests on this machine I decided to check the dip switch block as it described in this article. Based on the results of the BASIC program, described in test one I got:
run 0, all switches are off: (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0) result = 255
run 1, first switch is on: (1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0) result = 254
run 2, second switch is on: (0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0) result = 253
run 3, third switch is on: (0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0) result = 251
run 4, fourth switch is on: (0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0) result = 247
run 5, fifth switch is on: (0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0) result = 239
run 6, sixth switch is on: (0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0) result = 255
run 7, seventh switch is on: (0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0) result = 191
run 8, eighth switch is on: (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1) result = 127
So the switch 6 constantly is in off position. Is there any way to fix this error other than replace the whole DIP switches module? The motherboard that came with this PC is one of the earliest that was produced for 5160 models and I'd like to keep it in original condition and build an authentic PC. Did it will work if I solder a small wire between corresponding DIP switch legs on the back of the plate?

One more question. Is it really rare and it is one of the earlier revisions of motherboard for 5160? Based of this article, there is only few owners of this board with the installed ROM's '5000026' and '5000027', so if it is true, then I'd like to keep it as it is.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once you are certain that the physical switches are working correctly, if the switch still can't be read correctly then there's a problem in the 8255 PPI and the attached circuitry. The 8 switches are connected to 4 inputs of the PPI chip (PC0 .. PC3) and the PPI's PB3 output selects whether to read the low group of 4 or the high group of 4 switches. Since both SW2 and SW6 are connected to the PC1 input and SW2 works, we know that the 8255 is also working correctly. There could be a problem with one of the discrete logic gates (the chips labelled U68 and U41).

If you get to this point, you'll definitely want to grab a copy of IBM's XT Technical Reference manual and look at the motherboard schematics.