VOGONS

First post, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 DX2 66 with a HSF that appears to be glued or epoxied on. There is no give so I suspect it's not thermal adhesive tape.

The fan works and I'm tempted to leave it, but if I recall a 486DX2 could run without a cooler (and well, I think that makes it look neater) so I'm tempted to try and remove it. Its a ceramic package so it likely would not get damaged but I'm wondering if the writing and logo are pretty much already fubar and I'm better off to buy a naked DX2-66 instead?

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 1 of 3, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thing about retro hardware is if you can keep it cooler than spec, keep it cooler. You could probably pry it off by putting the CPU in a few antistatic bags in your freezer for 1 hour, then prying it off with a screwdriver if keen though. However, sounds like it's happy left as is.

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest not running a DX2-66 without any type of cooling, it works but it will get extremely hot. It even gets quite toasty when using a small heatsink with no fan.

If the current heatsink + fan works I would leave it, you can just replace the fan when it fails.

Reply 3 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the freezer trick actually work? I've tried this in the past, and it usually results in cracking the CPU.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium