User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Day Everyone, ill start with my setup for some info:
Case: Cooler master h500 mesh
CPU: i7-3770
Cpu Cooler: cooler master hyper 212
MOBO: Asus P8z68-V LX
Ram:G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL ( ddr3 1600/9-9-9-24)
Harddrive: WD Blue 1TB wd10ezex
PSU: Gamdias Kratos M1-600B 600W (12v@47A)
GPU: Zotac amp xtreme 980 ti ( modified driviers) and id like to run a 7800gtx parallel

Alright so my apologies if this is a dumb question, i have 2 xp builds going on for offline gaming. 2 is for when my buddy comes over.
My question is; im having issues with some games and one being splintercell Pandora tomorrow, shadows dont show up, ive read a ton on this, the easiest fix for me was to pick up a 7800gtx. Im wondering fi its possible to run the 980ti and 7800 gtx, both installed on the mobo, and switch back and forth via command on the pc, run what ever gpu i want for whatever application for example.
not sli or crossfire, just 2 options so i dont have to always remove and install the gpu's physically from the pc.

is this possible? are there other options if not?

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May be problematic, due to some shared files and settings between drivers. Much easier to do with Kepler GPUs, which had driver that still supported cards like 7800GTX. That said, newer drivers may add additional bugs even on old video cards and Nvidia weren't good in long-term support of pre-DX10 hardware (so did AMD with old ATi cards).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having two distinct Windows XP installations (on separate hard disks/SSD) in a single machine and booting from the one you want using the BIOS' boot menu option would allow each GPU to have its own Windows XP installation .

Reply 3 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not exactly related to running 2 gpus both under windows XP but has anyont tried running virtual machine when having newer and older gpu in same system and doing gpu passthrough of the older gpu to a windows XP virtual machine for compatibility reasons?

Reply 4 of 5, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over the years I've built a few weird mixes, usually for current need and not retro.. Multiple ATI/Amd's usually work well together. I've used vm's for years now and pass a gpu. I've had 4 gpu's in a system. PCI-e generations can give issues depending on the motherboard. PCI cards can work well, later ones with bridges can cause issues. Cabling and lower lane widths work fine. Using a common backing files and layering images can run two instances on two gpu's simultaneously.

Lots of possibility. Unfortunately I've found a working combo doesn't necessarily migrate to another board.

I used to know what I was doing...