VOGONS

First post, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any problems running this motherboard with cpus that have unknown microcodes to the bios? I havent noticed any problems yet, are there any downsides?

y7b8KO2l.jpg

Its running on the most up to date bios from SuperMicro's website R3.1

t6gUWXMl.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grem Five wrote on 2021-11-28, 21:21:
Is there any problems running this motherboard with cpus that have unknown microcodes to the bios? I havent noticed any problem […]
Show full quote

Is there any problems running this motherboard with cpus that have unknown microcodes to the bios? I havent noticed any problems yet, are there any downsides?

y7b8KO2l.jpg

Its running on the most up to date bios from SuperMicro's website R3.1

t6gUWXMl.jpg

Can't say I've noticed any either on my SM P6DGU with slot 1 or sloketed processors (which processors / steppings BTW?)

Reply 2 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SL5QV cD0

Its the only stepping that 1 GHz 100 MHz FC-PGA processors come in, I wanted to go Dual 1 GHz and do it cheaply so I got both the processors under $10 each and the slotkets were around $15 each. Heck of a lot cheaper than just one 1 GHz slot 1 processor, I see the 1 GHz slot 1s are cC0 steppings.

I wouldnt be past putting in 800 or 750 MHz slot 1 processors but I only have one of each and even those things are going for like $50 a pop. Only matching Slot 1 processors I got is a pair of 600 MHz ones and they work fine but...

Reply 3 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grem Five wrote on 2021-11-28, 22:44:

SL5QV cD0

Its the only stepping that 1 GHz 100 MHz FC-PGA processors come in, I wanted to go Dual 1 GHz and do it cheaply so I got both the processors under $10 each and the slotkets were around $15 each. Heck of a lot cheaper than just one 1 GHz slot 1 processor, I see the 1 GHz slot 1s are cC0 steppings.

I wouldnt be past putting in 800 or 750 MHz slot 1 processors but I only have one of each and even those things are going for like $50 a pop. Only matching Slot 1 processors I got is a pair of 600 MHz ones and they work fine but...

Yeah, the higher end Slot 1s can be pricey - I was lucky and got a pair of cC0 1000/256/133 SL4BS Slot 1s wiith my board (throwaways from an old server apparently!). Although only 750MHz at stock, I've been running them at their full 133MHz FSB using the 'Manufacturers Setting / Mode' option in the WinBIOS, although I seem to recall having less succes with dual slokets 🙁

Reply 4 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-30, 09:00:

I've been running them at their full 133MHz FSB using the 'Manufacturers Setting / Mode' option in the WinBIOS, although I seem to recall having less succes with dual slokets 🙁

I didnt know know this was possible, thank you for the info.