VOGONS

First post, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read a few threads on here about KVM switches and it seems to be magic getting them to work.

I currently have
NEC Powermate SX/20 - DOS
486-66mhz - DOS
K6-350mhz - Win98
Ahtalon 1.5ghz - WinXP

Everything works except for the 386. I'm getting Keyboard errors on boot and just beeps when typing. The KVM I am using is one from my older server rack at work. It is powered.-
It's a Hawking Technology CS168 8 Port KVM Switch.

I've tried a few combinations of keyboards and nothing seems to work with the 386. Does anyone have any suggestions for KVM switches that would work across my above systems? Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do any of the PS2 keyboards work directly connected to the 386sx with same adapter you are using with the KVM ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-06, 23:59:

Do any of the PS2 keyboards work directly connected to the 386sx with same adapter you are using with the KVM ?

Don't need an adapter. The 386 is just a PS/2 keyboard. All 4 I have work fine when plugged directly into the computer. It just doesn't like the switch. I even tried 2 brands of cables from the switch to 386.

Ed

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm most likely the motherboard keyboard controller does not like the setup using a digital KVM. Did you check the board and verify that that as per page 5 of the manual:
"a 6-pin mini-DIN (PS/2 Style) keyboard port with +5V DC on pin 4 and ground on pin 3" ?
There are not that many (total of all 386 boards) that are native PS2 keyboard, most are AT style, curious what is the motherboard ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-12-07, 04:08:

Hmm most likely the motherboard keyboard controller does not like the setup using a digital KVM. Did you check the board and verify that that as per page 5 of the manual:
"a 6-pin mini-DIN (PS/2 Style) keyboard port with +5V DC on pin 4 and ground on pin 3" ?
There are not that many (total of all 386 boards) that are native PS2 keyboard, most are AT style, curious what is the motherboard ?

It's an NEC Powermate SX/20
Here a picture I found online.
powermate.jpg

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say its worth a shot, You may even get away with daisy chaining the manual switchbox between the PC and KVM, maybe.

Reply 7 of 7, by ArcadEd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried a manual switch box and still no luck. In fact the video doesn't work either.

I just don't get it because all the switch box is doing is a wire to wire connection. Maybe it has to do with the cables? I tried 3 different vga cables, no luck.