VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found some more old hardware in the basement at work. I found a Pentium 133MHz and it had a 3dfx Voodoo 2 Diamond Monster 3D II in it. Trouble is whoever put it down there many years ago had bent one of the pins on the VGA connector. I have straightened pins before but this one is really difficult as the very end of pin 10 is almost at a right angle. I might not be able to straighten the pin and I was wondering if anybody knows of anybody online who does repairs on such things. Somebody who has the right equipment and skill could probably just solder on a new connector I am sure.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on the damage you may want to try bending the pin upward with a small flat screwdriver and then straightening it with a thin tube.
If only the end is bent you can try some needle nose pliers to squeeze the end back into position.

Any professional repair would imply replacing the connector. If you can supply the connector any cellphone/console repair shop can swap them for you.

Reply 2 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Luckily pin 10 is a ground so its absence shouldn't cause any trouble if it does end up breaking off during attempts at straightening.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a feeling the pin was not important. I have been trying to straighten it with a small screwdriver and also using one of those pencils with the thin replaceable leads. You take out the lead and use the thin tube and put it over the pin. So far no luck, but I will keep trying.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 4 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I have a pass through cable that was for a Voodoo 1 somewhere that I can use for this. I assume it can be used for Voodoo 2?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 5 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote on 2021-12-08, 20:55:

I think I have a pass through cable that was for a Voodoo 1 somewhere that I can use for this. I assume it can be used for Voodoo 2?

If it is the regular male VGA - female VGA then yes.👍

Reply 6 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the connector will now go in. Pin 10 is broken and bent almost flat, but as has been said it should still work without it. Which driver from Phil's web site should be used for Windows 98? The latest reference driver or one of the others? https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo-2.html

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 8 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get yourself just a small block of C4 and press the VGA connector into it...

... then pull it out again and maybe the loose pin is left behind... okay I guess you could try modelling clay too but where's the fun in that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news! I took the whole computer apart and cleaned every component (over 20 years of dirt from being in a basement). It is a Pentium 150Mhz according to the boot message. Windows 98 just reports it as a Pentium. I have an AWE 32 ISA CT3780 in there and of course the Voodoo II. Even with the bent pin the Voodoo is working. I have not tried any games but it is coupled with a ATI Rage Pro and all looks OK so far.

The computer has 80MB RAM. Is it worth increasing that?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 10 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, Maybe I spoke to soon. I have only tried one game which is Screamer 2. I got it to run the 3DFX mode and the colors look off. I had assumed that if normal 2D stuff (Windows etc) looked right then the missing PIN was not an issue. Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG-0374.JPG
    Filename
    IMG-0374.JPG
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 11 of 14, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For comparison, I think it should look something like this:

OptionsRoom.jpg
Filename
OptionsRoom.jpg
File size
40.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Green looks ok, but Red and Blue look mixed up. Don't know the cause, but thought it might help track the problem down.

[edit: hypothetically, if that bent pin 10 had shorted red or blue to ground, could that have damaged the DAC on the Voodoo? Or the few components between the DAC and the connector, like that analog switch?]

Reply 12 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe that is just some SNAFU between 2D color/mode settings and the game's mode. Like you might need to drop out of 24 bit... or if a first gen 3D game, set 256 colors or some crap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-16, 23:46:

I believe that is just some SNAFU between 2D color/mode settings and the game's mode. Like you might need to drop out of 24 bit... or if a first gen 3D game, set 256 colors or some crap.

I restarted Windows 98 in DOS mode and it was in 256 colors. I suppose I can try and test it with another 3DFX fame instead.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 14 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested it with Quake and it does work. Must be something to do with Screamer.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770