VOGONS

Reply 580 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have a way to map a delidded k6-2+ down to the thousandth of an inch and diagram it. I was thinking a pcb that had clearances for all the parts and slid on like a puzzle piece

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 581 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mechanical specs should be on the datasheet.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 582 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-04, 00:01:

Mechanical specs should be on the datasheet.

https://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/Ad … ices/mXvutz.pdf

Page 353 doesn’t have required measurements or diagram

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 584 of 600, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is form AMD K6-2+ official datasheet pdf:

K6-2+_package_dimensions.jpg
Filename
K6-2+_package_dimensions.jpg
File size
75.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

As you can see there's no size of what you're looking for, but after some calculations it can be found with some approximate accuracy:

thickness from the ceramic to top of the die in milimeters* ≈ (Emin + Emax)/2 - (Fmin + Fmax)/2 - (thickness of the IHS cap's plate) ≈
≈ (2.91 + 3.63)/2 - (1.3 + 1.52)/2 - (thickness of the IHS cap's plate) ≈ 3.27 - 1.41 - (thickness of the IHS cap's plate) ≈
≈ 1.86 - (thickness of the IHS cap's plate) ≈ ??? [ mm* ]

You have to measure the thickness of the IHS cap's plate by yourself 😀

* - I'm using SI units only, but as you can see in the pdf there are given dimensions in inches

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 585 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I knew it wouldn't have everything going on under the cap, but thought it needed to be seen that you're not going to be able to do it to the thousandth of an inch, when AMD thought 20 thou was good enough.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 586 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wonder if I could scan the cpu’s image (I don’t have a scanner) or take a pic, then scale it to the proper size, convert it into a silk screen image and use that as a template to lay out the edge cuts. 🤔

Maybe a scanner would be best to keep aspects correct

Edit: I see Crazytiti had the scan idea also.

Caliper should work for height

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 589 of 600, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone have delided K6-2+ at hand, better off to use caliper to take direct measurements of CPU die.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 591 of 600, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2024-04-06, 15:40:

I did that, it is 0.80mm

Ok, this is height over the ceramic base, but what about length and width of the die?

Reply 592 of 600, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-04-06, 15:53:
Skalabala wrote on 2024-04-06, 15:40:

I did that, it is 0.80mm

Ok, this is height over the ceramic base, but what about length and width of the die?

Ok, will get that today and post tonight 😀

Reply 594 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That’s the easy part, mapping the exact position of the smd components is the tricky bit. My idea was a pcb similar to a punch card with a bunch of holes in it. And it would just slide on like a glove. It could even have solder pads next to the smd parts as a way to attach it and a place in the middle for a heat spreader to solder to.

Probably more work than it is worth but it would be very cool.

We could add extra holes for mounting of extra parts. Just need to make sure none of them lie above any of the gold test points.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 596 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2048kb 1/3 clock L3 on the empty ceramic made out of chips stolen off crappy PIIs ... and tryna get Jan to write BIOSes for 256L2 plus 2048L3 plus 2048L4 ... ... ...

Reply 597 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol

Cache interposers might be possible.

Still waiting for someone to check what’s going on with the jumpers on the non plus might be 512k hiding there… (doubt it)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 598 of 600, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I decided to try on my K6-2+ 500ACZ and it seems to have worked! I ran the custom range Memtest for a few hundred passes and got zero errors. Also did a 3DMark 99 run without issue.

I haven't tried overclocking or anything yet. And now that I think about it, I never tried it before the mod either. I suppose I could have been a little more thorough with some before and after testing along the way. I was just really excited to give it a try. 😀

Reply 599 of 600, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-04-10, 01:57:

Still waiting for someone to check what’s going on with the jumpers on the non plus might be 512k hiding there… (doubt it)

Agreed, it would be very unlikely that any K6 had 512k L2 cache, when AMD never released on that had it. Unless of course it was used as a test vessel for production methods. But since even the Athlon didn't have that much on board cache, not likely.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀