VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m wondering what the most overclockable 430hx motherboard is? Kinda hoping for AT with lots of pci slots but not married to it.

What 430hx board has the record fsb overclock? (stable)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus P/I-P55T2P4 supports 83 MHz

Also I do remember “back in the day” people modifying the FSB clock circuitry
The infamous PCCHIPS m571 would run 108mhz FSB after modification

I believe some have gotten the TX to 90mhz FSB by increasing the boards IO voltage to the chipset above the normal 3.5

I do not know of any HX board with native OEM support beyond 83mhz FSB

Reply 2 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you replaced the clock crystal, you might achieve something a little faster than the 83 MHz that can be achieved with the stock board, but that would of course put the PCI bus even further out of spec. You can set it to 108 MHz by the jumpers, but it won't post.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would guess higher FSB might be feasible, but you're going to have to make sure you use PCI cards that conform to the 2.2 spec and have fast enough RAM.
Because the PCI divider can only be set to 2, you need to run the bus grossly out of spec. Newer cards support 66MHz so should be able to handle that assuming the bus doesn't give out.
RAM is a bit of a problem. As the HX chipset doesn't support SDRAM, I'm not sure how you're going to get stuff rated for 100MHz. HX supports EDO SDRAM though....was that made as PC100?

Personally, I think the TX chipset would be a better choice for this project.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-12-11, 01:26:
I would guess higher FSB might be feasible, but you're going to have to make sure you use PCI cards that conform to the 2.2 spec […]
Show full quote

I would guess higher FSB might be feasible, but you're going to have to make sure you use PCI cards that conform to the 2.2 spec and have fast enough RAM.
Because the PCI divider can only be set to 2, you need to run the bus grossly out of spec. Newer cards support 66MHz so should be able to handle that assuming the bus doesn't give out.
RAM is a bit of a problem. As the HX chipset doesn't support SDRAM, I'm not sure how you're going to get stuff rated for 100MHz. HX supports EDO SDRAM though....was that made as PC100?

Personally, I think the TX chipset would be a better choice for this project.

I was wanting the 512 mb max ram option. Since tx doesn’t do much faster with sd ram, seems more ram is more valuable than less slightly quicker ram also the xt can only cache 64 mb whereas the hx can cache 512mb

Not always a problem though, most of the time I’m using a k6 3+ Which allows 256mb cached on tx

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a bit of a lottery whether your specific piece of a models production will actually even be stable at 83Mhz or not, I've had it both ways, boards that other ppl swear are 83 stable, being unstable, boards that ppl say are unstable at 83 working fine for me, with use of known to be good at 43Mhz PCI cards of course, CPU below rated frequency and overkill RAM spec. The later boards tended better, that may be more due to the tuning up and better yields of the chipset silicon than designs of the boards getting tweaked, could be both.

I recall talk of some 430VX boards having undocumented settings, 90Mhz, favored for a year maybe by Cyrix overclockers before super 7 boards became widely available, or cheaper. I can't remember the boards involved, stuff like that was talked about on [H]ardOcp while it was still more BBS style before it became vBulletin style, so 97-99ish I think. Doubt archive.org has captured much.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.