VOGONS

Reply 80 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-01-04, 22:05:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-31, 10:22:

Anyone heard of the reason for junking electronics coming from accounting?
Saying it needs to be destroyed since it has been written off and thus should have no more value to be sold off.
Selling it could make them liable for fraud.

Organizations probably have to pay to get rid of their old hardware, unless it's not completely depreciated, in which case it probably has resale value. Many large organizations lease hardware, in case of financial lease that also means they depreciate the hardware and can own it. Selling something that's completely depreciated is not illegal, but can be seen as a source of income, which should be accounted for. Organizations really do not have a single reason to not donate or sell their old hardware, apart from liability concerns, data loss and lack of time for non profitable activities.

Around where I live, there are a couple "recycling" companies that will come pick up old IT equipment for free... Of course they aren't interested if you only have a few things to get rid of.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 81 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy off topic batman

Anyway, what’s the best overclock you guys have gotten on the 570s?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 82 of 218, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received mine. Not sure when I have time to build a system around one of these. I have all the parts ready to go, just a matter of finding time. Probably next xmas break or something 😀

PXL_20220129_031751507.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220129_031751507.jpg
File size
841.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 83 of 218, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made an offer of $60 yesterday and the offer expired with no response. It wasn't rejected, just ignored. I am going to make the same offer again today. If I get no response again, do you think I should just pay the asking price?

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 84 of 218, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-05, 01:53:

Holy off topic batman

I've a K6-2+ 550 and a K6-2+ 533 that both reach 616 MHz at lower voltage than the K6-2+ 570 I purchased some time ago. That's why I was able to provide a photo of a decapped K6-2+ because I wanted to see if I could hit something higher than 616, but I can't say that it helped.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 85 of 218, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pinesal wrote on 2022-02-09, 21:37:

I made an offer of $60 yesterday and the offer expired with no response. It wasn't rejected, just ignored. I am going to make the same offer again today. If I get no response again, do you think I should just pay the asking price?

You could also ask someone here, who is residing in the US, if he would sell you one of his for $20 + shipping.
This way you won't be stuck with 3 of them. But you won't get the best sample from the lot.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-01-05, 01:53:

Hirsch has one which can do 600MHz@1.85V.
Mine can do 600MHz@2.05V.
We don't have any board with more than 100MHz FSB.

Reply 86 of 218, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was ghosted again by the ebay seller so I am just going to buy at the asking price. I'd be willing to sell one of the spares to someone for $25 shipped once I get them. (connected USA only)

Some mentioned benchmarking all three CPUs and keeping the best one. How would I go about doing that? What software do I need and should I be expecting to scrape and reapply thermal paste 3 time? 🤣

Thanks.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 87 of 218, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does the K6-2E plus have adjustable multiplier via jumpers? To run on 66MHz and 75MHz fsb? Around 400-500MHz all I wanted and less too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 88 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:12:

does the K6-2E plus have adjustable multiplier via jumpers? To run on 66MHz and 75MHz fsb? Around 400-500MHz all I wanted and less too.

Cheers,

Yep, same as all other socket 7 AMD CPUs.

2x = 6x.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 89 of 218, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, all K6 CPUs have an open multiplier.
That why the boards+CPUs are so expensive compared to Pentium II. Back in the day everybody wanted Pentium II because they offer a bit more performance. Now everyone wants K6 for the flexibility. 🤣
The plus variants (K6-2+ and K6-III+) can even change their multiplier during operation via software, because they're mobile CPUs.

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:25:

2x = 6x.

What he means is:
Your manual will probably state, that 5.5x is the highest multiplier. But for the latest K6 CPUs the 2x multi gets interpreted as 6x.

pinesal wrote on 2022-02-10, 21:36:

Some mentioned benchmarking all three CPUs and keeping the best one. How would I go about doing that? What software do I need

Benchmarking is the wrong word. The correct word is binning.
You'll need Prime95. But an older version. The newer versions don't work with old CPUs.
You play around with FSB+multi+voltage to see what's possible. Then test for stability with Prime95.

should I be expecting to scrape and reapply thermal paste 3 time? 🤣

No, you don't need to do that. Socket 7 CPUs don't run that hot. The low voltage variants (like my K6-III+ 400ATZ who runs at 1.6V) don't even need a cooler.
Thermal paste doesn't hurt, but for testing it's a waste of ressources imho. Do the testing without paste and once you've decided which one you gonna use, you can apply paste.

Reply 90 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was ghosted again by the ebay seller so I am just going to buy at the asking price. I'd be willing to sell one of the spares to someone for $25 shipped once I get them. (connected USA only)

Some mentioned benchmarking all three CPUs and keeping the best one. How would I go about doing that? What software do I need and should I be expecting to scrape and reapply thermal paste 3 time? 🤣

Thanks.

I think they meant binning.

And yes, you should.

But you may encounter the limits of the board before the cpu.

Turn off mobo cache, loosen mem timings

And set cpu multi to say 3x

Find your max mobo fsb frequency. Do a actual benchmark burn in to find this

Keep the bios settings

Next

Set cpu to 2x= 6x and fsb to 83mhz

And lower the voltage, see if all run at your lowest setable voltage. Which unfortunately may be of no help because many boards only go down to the actual rated voltage of the chip. 2.0v

Anyway, after setting the lowest voltage,

You are now ready for the real test,

Start raising the fsb until one doesn’t post and write the setting that happened at. Hopefully it happened before your max mobo frequency

So with this result you will know it was the cpu that failed to post at x frequency and nothing else.

This is useful because it is quick. You will be able to see which of the three will post at the highest clock and choose that one to keep.

You can find stable frequency later which will take more time.

Suffice to say the one that posts the highest should have the highest stable clock also. Which of course will be less than the postable clock

RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:39:
Yes, all K6 CPUs have an open multiplier. That why the boards+CPUs are so expensive compared to Pentium II. Back in the day ever […]
Show full quote

Yes, all K6 CPUs have an open multiplier.
That why the boards+CPUs are so expensive compared to Pentium II. Back in the day everybody wanted Pentium II because they offer a bit more performance. Now everyone wants K6 for the flexibility. 🤣
The plus variants (K6-2+ and K6-III+) can even change their multiplier during operation via software, because they're mobile CPUs.

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:25:

2x = 6x.

What he means is:
Your manual will probably state, that 5.5x is the highest multiplier. But for the latest K6 CPUs the 2x multi gets interpreted as 6x.

Some mentioned benchmarking all three CPUs and keeping the best one. How would I go about doing that? What software do I need

Benchmarking is the wrong word. The correct word is binning.
You'll need Prime95. But an older version. The newer versions don't work with old CPUs.
You play around with FSB+multi+voltage to see what's possible. Then test for stability with Prime95.

should I be expecting to scrape and reapply thermal paste 3 time? 🤣

No, you don't need to do that. Socket 7 CPUs don't run that hot. The low voltage variants (like my K6-III+ 400ATZ who runs at 1.6V) don't even need a cooler.
Thermal paste doesn't hurt, but for testing it's a waste of ressources imho. Do the testing without paste and once you've decided which one you gonna use, you can apply paste.

Yeah 🤣 it’s crazy but people forget that there actually were a few socket 7 chips that you could legit run without a cooler at certain very conservative settings while others, forget it!!!

But most of the hotter chips will “survive” without paste. Which is wild, but totally a thing.

Now I’m curious… hottest socket 7 chip?
Coolest I’m pretty sure is either a (underclocked/undervolted)k62+ Or tillamook

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 92 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-02-11, 03:08:

I'd say the likely candidate for the hottest Socket 7 CPU would be a Cyrix PR150 or so.

Some of the Cyrix get kinda near it, but highest known is K6-233 @ 30.2W maximum... https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/elec_pentium.htm

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 93 of 218, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking about getting 3 but I'm gonna wait this gunfighter out. It's a staring contest right now and given his cache size I think I can afford to let him sweat. Maybe in the meantime I'll chide him surreptitiously with some reverse flattery and fatten the pig before the slaughter. My chops are dripping already.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the paste. We're talking 20 watts max and I don't think their overclockability is as dependent on heat as modern CPUs, with K6+ it's all about that onboard L2 cache stability which runs at full speed, like a chastity belt for governing overclockability.

This is probably the last pool of K6+'s we'll ever see for casually dipping in and rolling the dice, seeing what the overclock fairy gives us.

Any more reports on the overclocks from these K6-2+'s? Come on guys, shake 'em down.

Reply 94 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maestro wrote on 2022-02-11, 03:57:
I'm thinking about getting 3 but I'm gonna wait this gunfighter out. It's a staring contest right now and given his cache size I […]
Show full quote

I'm thinking about getting 3 but I'm gonna wait this gunfighter out. It's a staring contest right now and given his cache size I think I can afford to let him sweat. Maybe in the meantime I'll chide him surreptitiously with some reverse flattery and fatten the pig before the slaughter. My chops are dripping already.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the paste. We're talking 20 watts max and I don't think their overclockability is as dependent on heat as modern CPUs, with K6+ it's all about that onboard L2 cache stability which runs at full speed, like a chastity belt for governing overclockability.

This is probably the last pool of K6+'s we'll ever see for casually dipping in and rolling the dice, seeing what the overclock fairy gives us.

Any more reports on the overclocks from these K6-2+'s? Come on guys, shake 'em down.

Guy has K63+ 500ACR for sale too, but only about 100 of them, gonna grab one or two ...see what I get and if I can push them past 600.

Reply 95 of 218, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-11, 10:16:

Guy has K63+ 500ACR for sale too, but only about 100 of them, gonna grab one or two ...see what I get and if I can push them past 600.

What a price, though! 😀
And to think that, just a few years ago, I bought 5 x K6-3+ 400ATZ CPUs for $20 a piece... just like I'm now buying VIA C3 CPUs for the same price. Waiting patiently for the moment when people will realize that these are pretty much better than the K6-2/3+ CPUs in every way. 🤣
I mean, don't get me wrong, I also love SS7 (still unsure why, though). But, from a practical standpoint, there's no real reason to pay insane amounts of money for it, when you can build a much more capable platform with VIA C3 CPUs (for a fraction of what a SS7 platform costs nowadays).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 97 of 218, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the 550 is a collector's/best of the best item, so logic goes completely out the window when people buy these. 😁 I would never pay this insane amount of money for it, BUT I can understand why some people do (still, it's a bit less than $600 - for now it's more like $400 - 450).
However, the K6-3 500 is really not that special, so I think that $100 is a bit much (but that's just me). I'm pretty sure that somewhere around the world (probably China) there are still warehouses filled with NOS K6-3+ CPUs, which will eventually end up on eBay for more reasonable prices.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 98 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2022-02-11, 11:13:

Well, the 550 is a collector's/best of the best item, so logic goes completely out the window when people buy these. 😁 I would never pay this insane amount of money for it, BUT I can understand why some people do (still, it's a bit less than $600 - for now it's more like $400 - 450).
However, the K6-3 500 is really not that special, so I think that $100 is a bit much (but that's just me). I'm pretty sure that somewhere around the world (probably China) there are still warehouses filled with NOS K6-3+ CPUs, which will eventually end up on eBay for more reasonable prices.

I guess if you are ok with waiting for prices to possibly return to normal levels ...I cant see that happening for quite a while, possibly years by which point my Core2 stuff will be considered retro 🤣 and I wont need the K63+.

Reply 99 of 218, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-11, 11:21:

I guess if you are ok with waiting for prices to possibly return to normal levels ...I cant see that happening for quite a while, possibly years by which point my Core2 stuff will be considered retro 🤣 and I wont need the K63+.

That's the thing! I'm not sure if prices will ever return to normal.
What I'm saying is that, objectively, if one simply wants to build today a flexible retro gaming PC, there are better options out there, with better prices (again, I'm not referring to collectors, but to your average Joe who just wants to buy a cheap, flexible retro gaming PC).

PS: in my eyes, the Core2 Duo stuff is already retro (which is why I already have a bunch of Core 2 Duo retro gaming PCs), but that's just me. 😁