VOGONS

First post, by dvd3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm working on a low profile 486 build, and after digging through my parts bin, I managed to find an ISA video, controller and network card that all fit in the case, but none of my sound cards are short enough. My first idea was to use a riser cable, something like this PCIe riser to mount it somewhere else in the case.

Does this product exist anywhere but for ISA instead of PCI?

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They exist, but can be hard to find cheap, there's also right angle adapters around if it will clear low to the board. Also you don't really need a PCB to make one, if you get a socket with right angle pins, then you can find a junk ISA card with full fingers, saw those off and tag the socket to the tops of them carefully.

Alternatively, there are a few ALS 100+ cards around that are low profile and have the gameport on a ribbon to the bracket that may work. But these have gotten sought after for being pretty good OPL3 copies so prices aren't great.

edit: link for the picture of the ALS 100 card type I was talking about, would consider this overpriced... https://picclick.co.uk/Avance-Logic-Arowana-1 … 3845099219.html

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by dvd3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding a 16bit ISA modem in my parts bin to use as my junk card for the edge connector, a couple of IDE cables for the ribbon, and another ISA riser for the slot.
I'll give it a shot tonight and i'll post an update if it works.