VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am using the FIC VA-503+ motherboard for a Windows 98 install. There is a USB header on the motherboard that was to be used with an optional USB bracket that was available back in the day. I don't have the original bracket but I do have a USB 2.0 bracket. The pin layout looks to be the same. Would it work if I plugged in the USB 2.0 bracket, would it be backwards compatible with what I assume is USB 1.0 on this board? The connectors on the USB 2.0 have one of the pin holes filled in but could just plug in the one side without the filled in pin to just one side of the pins on the motherboard and let the other side just overhang the side.

Attachments

• Bracket.JPG
    Filename
    Bracket.JPG
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Manual.JPG
    Filename
    Manual.JPG
    File size
    61.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • USB Connector.jpg
    Filename
    USB Connector.jpg
    File size
    48.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 3, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the wire colours match up (Red 5V, White D-, Green D+, Black GND) with the diagram in the motherboard, and I don't think anything changed with the connectors between USB1 & 2. You can probably pop the plastic blanking pin out and move it to position 10 so you get both ports.

Reply 2 of 3, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I removed the blanking pin and hooked it up. Installed the support for Windows 98Se USB and rebooted. It is not working, it does not detect any new new hardware, there is nothing in Device Manager and it does not detect a FAT32 formatted USB. I am wondering if this board needs a specific driver to get USB working or maybe there is a jumper or setting in the BIOS that needs to be adjusted.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 3, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was disabled in the BIOS! It now works.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770