VOGONS

First post, by Cythyel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hy-hy!

Got my eyes on 2 Via cpu based boards.
One is a Via Epia-PD C3 with 1Ghz Nehemiah cpu.
Other outfitted with a Nano X2 U4200, housed in a complete mini pc.

Would like to know, that which one would be better for w9x retro gamint, opsys would be winme.
My guess is that its the Nehemiah based, the Nano X2 is approx 8 years newer.

Is it possible to get working drivers for the Epia-PD C3 board? All i find are winxp drivers.
I know that the onboard Savage4 is weak, got a pci radeon 7000 i can place into that board.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 3, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

I have some boards based on VIA CLE266 chipset just like VIA Epia-PD C3. I noticed that the IGP performance is dependent on the video bios (newer = faster). Nahemiah @1GHz gave me a performance close to that of a Pentium3 600 in Quake 3. UniChrome IGP is not exactly Savage4 because it have second real pipeline which gives a nice boost in synthetic tests and games. Windows 98 works just fine on my boards

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Nano X2 U4200.

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apollo Pro 133 and onwards, even K8T890/P4M890 for LGA775, is good for Win9x with newer and stable drivers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by Cythyel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-16, 13:18:

Apollo Pro 133 and onwards, even K8T890/P4M890 for LGA775, is good for Win9x with newer and stable drivers.

i would rather stay away from via chipsets of s478 and lga775 if possible...
already got an amd slotA config for larger pure retro gaming, wanna make this small mitx one to be a more mobile setup, got a small sfx psu based chieftec case, 3dfx v3-3000 pci card and ready to go...