VOGONS

First post, by Iconclas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After extensive research I can not find any mention or explanation of what these terms mean. They are under the jumper setting for VESA master/slave configuration.
The motherboard is a Toshiba based chipset with three VLB slots 1-3. It's called a GMB-UNL V1.1 by "Robotech" according to Stanson. Toshiba chipset is 4L08f1243.
Any takers on what PAL/GAL installed/uninstalled has to do with Master / Slave configuration?

unl-486.jpg
Filename
unl-486.jpg
File size
47.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PAL/GAL are programmable logic chips of very low complexity/capacity, often used to replace a bunch of discrete logic chips in bus address decoders and whatnot. Think of it as of tiny CPLD.

I don't know anything about that motherboard, but logically there is some optional feature that may be present or not, it is implemented using one (or more) of PAL or GAL chips, and you configure your motherboard with jumpers to tell the chipset that the feature is available or not. It seems you cannot make changes freely to JP40/41/42/44/45, those must reflect the presence of the chips implementing that feature.
I'd guess that the feature could be the bus mastering, allowing the card to initiate transactions on the bus. Without the additional PAL/GAL chips on the motherboard this possibility might be unavailable. Normal video cards wouldn't need it, only the disk controllers or some fast i/o cards could make use of it.