VOGONS

First post, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings everyone. I'm in somewhat of a pickle. I got my hands on an Digital OEM desktop with the 430TX chipset to replace another OEM desktop I had with the VIA Apollo VP. My goal is fairly simple, I would like to tweak each system to the best possible, but still stable, state that I can. Granted that these are OEM systems, their BIOS options leave a lot to be desired and generally obfuscate important performance options, such as in my case memory timings and latencies. To my surprise, the Apollo VP system, which comes with 512KB L2 cache, was already tweaked to a satisfactory degree. Performance options are enabled, CAS Latency is set to 2. The 430TX comes with just 256KB L2 cache unfortunately, but benchmarking the two I saw that the Intel platform held the lead in every benchmark I performed, DOS or Windows, even if by a small margin. Looking through some utilities such as CPU-Z, I found out that CAS Latency is set to 3, even though my two 32MB PC100 SDRAM DIMMs can definitely do CL2 at 66MHz. I should note I'm using an MMX 233 as the CPU for these systems. The 430TX based system is using PhoenixBIOS and it is very barebones, not even allowing me to disable the USB controller. I was wondering if someone could help me or point me to a guide of sorts of editing said BIOS (surprisingly, even though this is an early-ish 1997 system, the latest BIOS I found hails from late 1999) to include extra performance options or just set them to different values all together.

While looking for answers, I also found a utility called TweakBIOS which appears to set the chipset registers in real-time. I had some success with this program, enabling various performance settings and lowering some memory timings, which did turn a small performance boost. However, what is arguably the most important option, lowering CAS Latency from 3 to 2 will always hang the system, be it under DOS or Windows, using a single DIMM, different DIMMs, occupying different slots, you name it. This is the option that would probably land the greatest performance uplift, so it really bothers me that it freezes the system like that. What's your take on this? If I mod the BIOS to lower the timings would I still get a system that freezes or will I be in the clear?

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a piece of dark magic called WPCREDIT ... but I can't hold your hand there, I've only futzed with it, google will tell you more, be careful though or you'll get 3000 animated broomsticks overfilling your bathtub or some crap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 10, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get an EEPROM programmer or 2nd chip (to have a backup of original BIOS) and try a few BIOSes for 430TX from other manufacturers.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 10, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2021-12-18, 12:02:

However, what is arguably the most important option, lowering CAS Latency from 3 to 2 will always hang the system, be it under DOS or Windows, using a single DIMM, different DIMMs, occupying different slots, you name it. This is the option that would probably land the greatest performance uplift, so it really bothers me that it freezes the system like that. What's your take on this? If I mod the BIOS to lower the timings would I still get a system that freezes or will I be in the clear?

Having seen datasheets for SDRAM chips, it seems questionable to me whether changing CAS latency on the fly via software would ever NOT result in a crash. It's a setting that is configured on the memory chips at power-on time. Once you've booted and have an OS loaded into RAM it is too late to change the setting on the SDRAM chips, and changing it for the chipset would result in mismatched timing between the chipset and SDRAM (ie. crash).

My point is that TweakBIOS having that setting there may be an unintentional booby-trap... all it's going to do is freeze up. A different (or modified) BIOS is probably needed to use a different CAS latency.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 4 of 10, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-18, 15:51:

There's a piece of dark magic called WPCREDIT ... but I can't hold your hand there, I've only futzed with it, google will tell you more, be careful though or you'll get 3000 animated broomsticks overfilling your bathtub or some crap.

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up!

AlexZ wrote on 2021-12-18, 23:15:

Get an EEPROM programmer or 2nd chip (to have a backup of original BIOS) and try a few BIOSes for 430TX from other manufacturers.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the way I see it, trying a BIOS from another manufacturer could cause all sorts of issues down the road that I can't predict. The mainboard has an integrated video chip from S3 for example and I'm not sure if flashing the BIOS would fudge with that. In any case, editing the current BIOS for that one option would be ideal.

bakemono wrote on 2021-12-19, 09:58:
Garrett W wrote on 2021-12-18, 12:02:

However, what is arguably the most important option, lowering CAS Latency from 3 to 2 will always hang the system, be it under DOS or Windows, using a single DIMM, different DIMMs, occupying different slots, you name it. This is the option that would probably land the greatest performance uplift, so it really bothers me that it freezes the system like that. What's your take on this? If I mod the BIOS to lower the timings would I still get a system that freezes or will I be in the clear?

Having seen datasheets for SDRAM chips, it seems questionable to me whether changing CAS latency on the fly via software would ever NOT result in a crash. It's a setting that is configured on the memory chips at power-on time. Once you've booted and have an OS loaded into RAM it is too late to change the setting on the SDRAM chips, and changing it for the chipset would result in mismatched timing between the chipset and SDRAM (ie. crash).

My point is that TweakBIOS having that setting there may be an unintentional booby-trap... all it's going to do is freeze up. A different (or modified) BIOS is probably needed to use a different CAS latency.

Yes, I see what you mean. I'd be inclined to agree, I decided to give it a quick test on the VPX system but the option doesn't seem to affect anything. It applies it, supposedly, but benchmarks are spitting out the same numbers.

Reply 5 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclockers.com had a write up on WPCRedit back in the day. https://www.overclockers.com/wpcredit/

This site has downloads for WPCRedit, and PCR files to match, but if you get V1.2a it includes the PCR file for the TX chipset. http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/download.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There have been more than a few OEM motherboards where the manufacturer had the same board with a non OEM BIOS which could be flashed to give more options. If you haven't already, you should search to see if yours is one of those.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 10, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave WPCRedit a go and unfortunately, as expected, the result is the same as with TweakB. As soon as I go and tweak that register, the system hangs. So I'm willing to agree with bakemono's assumption. I think BIOS modding might be my only chance, unfortunately opening up the BIOS in a hex editor mostly shows gibberish. I then proceeded to grab other OEM BIOSes that also used Phoenix like mine does and they all obfuscate details in much the same way. Bummer.

My system is a Digital Venturis FX-2, I'm not sure how I could figure out if there's a non-OEM version of my system's board. There's not a lot of info on my system, unfortunately. The fact that it uses Phoenix BIOS also concerns me, on the assumption that everything else stays the same, could my board work with an Award or AMI BIOS from another board?

Reply 8 of 10, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forget BIOS modding if you don't understand BIOSes and don't know assembly language.

There is a chance BIOS from another board using the same chipset could work. Having an integrated graphics card should play no role in that. There is a high likelihood of having to go through several BIOSes until you find something that works, which is why you need an EEPROM programmer and backup of the original BIOS. It's irrelevant if the new BIOS is AMI or AWARD. Don't even think about it unless you have a way to restore the original BIOS.

On both of my 440BX ECS boards I have non original BIOS (because I hated full screen Compaq logo), same on a KT133 board I have. In my case they were OEM boards and I just flashed the original BIOS from manufacturer which is much less risky.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 9 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, looks like it's got integrated video and sound, meaning likely candidates for nasty OEM BIOS replacement are other nasty OEM BIOSes 🙁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.