VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm preparing to rebuild/improve my Retro Rig, and one of the goals is to make it quieter.

Right now the loudest component is the power supply: Are three any quiet AT models, or would I be better off adapting a quiet ATX PSU?

Reply 1 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mistel with adapter? 😀

Might need a voltage blaster though

I have that adapter and a 550w version of that psu. They work good! Only need voltage blaster if you need -5v

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just replace the fan....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may also look into the few AT PSU for sale at Evercase.co.UK
These seem like modern, quality ATX PSU with some wire juggling and AT connectors, even with -5v

I don't have experience with them but they are probably pretty silent and reliable (looking at brands)

If you are attached to your current PSU: I second a fan replacement, noctua is my favourite is silence is your goal.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 10, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would be careful just throwing a lower RPM fan into an AT power supply, at minimum pull the spec from the original fan and try to replicate CFM/static pressure as much as possible to maintain the same level of airflow with a high quality modern fan of some sort, reliability/longevity > quiet operation. AT power supplies are not as efficient as newer ATX models and can produce more waste heat, which if not expediently removed can further degrade already aging electronic components and lead to a catastrophic failure that could kill valuable or even irreplaceable components in your retro PC.

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-12-22, 09:58:

Just replace the fan....

Yep, a nice Noctua Redux 80mm casefan does wonders (and probably moves more air than one with 25-year old bearings and grease)

Reply 9 of 10, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Star PSU on my 486 is quiet, as is the J.D.R. MicroDevices XT clone PSU on my other 486 is also very quiet. You might be able to replace the fan with a quieter fan, or put the current one on rubber grommets to isolate sound a little more. At this point, first sign of PSU fan noise I replace the fan as when that goes, it's only a matter of time before the PSU cooks itself to death, also a good opportunity to clean out the PSU. I have also had luck pulling stickers and putting a drop of 3'n'1 oil into the motor shaft hole if accessible.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/