VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

POST card codes might help, if you think the mobo is worth the expense. Obviously you need a card with PCI connector but it should be no problem getting one with both PCI and ISA. Just a warning though, always make sure you've installed it correctly in the slot. The orientation between ISA and PCI is different and it's easy to mix it up. I knew about it and still managed to get it wrong once, fortunately without any nasty consequences.

Just FYI, this is a VIA mobo but back in the Athlon XP days I had plenty of SiS motherboards that would just die on their own. Some were even broken (or semi-broken) out of the box. ECS was the worst offender. I guess everybody wanted to make them fast and the quality suffered, perhas the BGA soldering wasn't all that great. Or it could be the chips themselves that died, who knows. Point is: I've never dealt with as many bad mobos as during that era.

Reply 41 of 45, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tick tock and SHHHRERGFHRHHR noises might be blown mosfet actually, or something shorted and protection kicking in.
do you have another motherboard to test your ram and cpu?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 44 of 45, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the CPU on a healthy ECS K7VZA and it is good. So BOARD is problem. I will repair it someday.
Also tested memory on another board and it works.
So Motherboard is culprit

Reply 45 of 45, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also plan to get rid of all Choyo capacitors, even small ones. Reason for this: it fried a PS/2 keyboard, so I need to replace also the smaller caps. Just for my safety.