VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happy new year to all first!

I was able to put my dirty hands on a BP6, I always wanted to play with one of them.
It is a 440BX motherboard, it is dual socket 370, with 3 dimms and isa slot as well... It should be a dream machine... Except that it is not at least out of the box.
It was intended to be used with ppga processors only, Mendocino.

On the old BP6 forum there was plenty of people who modded the board to support the dual Coppermine configuration, some of them even without any adapter.
the best and more detailed one is really tricky and the angel that is taking care of my board for soldering and modding stuff (yes, one of you guys...) said it is too much of an hassle to go that way, and frankly I agree.

Now, I obtained two LIN LIN adapter, they are supposed to go from ppga to fcpga OR from fcpga to fcpga2.
I would be happy to go for the first option, but I am sure the BP6 should be modded a bit to do that.

BP6 forum is closed and wothout most of the content...

Could you help?

Last edited by Mamba on 2022-01-02, 18:21. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't help you with your CPU plans.
For me dual C366's @550MHz is where the BF6 should be =)
But ALL BP6's need recapping nowadays, but I'm sure you knew that already.

Here's mine:

nvOiQdHm.jpg

Low ESR Panasonics for the CPU's.
Mounted in an ugly angle to leave some more room for coolers -.-
The system did not get 100% stable until all caps were replaced =/
I also run a slightly modded BIOS to disable the (IMO) useless HighPoint controller.
And IIRC there's also some change to allow for tighter memory settings.

Anyways, GL with your modding!
Will follow this for sure =)

Reply 2 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure but don't the LinLin adaptors allow using Tualatin on PPGA S370 if configured correctly? They're sold configured for Tualatin on FCPGA S370 but I think the silkscreen described changes to allow operation on PPGA S370.

Reply 3 of 17, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-02, 10:51:

I'm not sure but don't the LinLin adaptors allow using Tualatin on PPGA S370 if configured correctly? They're sold configured for Tualatin on FCPGA S370 but I think the silkscreen described changes to allow operation on PPGA S370.

You are correct.
LiLin adapters were for Tualatin upgrade.
But since on the box is stated that they can upgrade ppga to fcpga, I was wondering that at least part of the mod for the BP6 could be spared using those adapters.

C'mon, I am sure someone here did the mod and was on BP6 forum back then...

This is what I am talking about:
https://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1484

And this is the tricky passage that we want somehow to avoid:

Y33 - CLKREF, input reference voltage. When using single-ended clocking mode, the BCLK#/CLKREF signal on the processor servers as a reference voltage to the clock input. To provide a steady reference voltage, a filter circuit (a capacitor) must be implemented and attached to this pin.

On the bp6, this pin is grounded since this signal is not used by the Celeron PPGA processor. However, for the Pentium III processor, the voltage reference must be attached or the processors will not be able to sync properly. I've seen a lot of posts on the Internet about the CLKREF implementation on various socket adapters. For example, there was a poorly designed S370 to Slot1 adapter that didn't implement the CLKREF circuit and 133MHz CPUs were only able to work stable at 100MHz FSB and below. I'm pretty sure the voltage circuit is needed for dual CPUs to work stable above 100MHz FSB. The reference voltage is not needed for a FC-PGA Celeron however. What has to be done here is break the connection of the socket pin with ground and implement the voltage divider using two 110 ohm 1% tolerance resistors and a 4.7uF capacitor. Breaking the ground connection is tricky since it is connected to the internal motherboard ground plane (the bp6 has four planes, the two inner are mainly ground and voltage islands as recommended by Intel). First, the socket pin must be carefully unsoldered and then the motherboard hole must be drilled to completely remove the ground connection and make some space for the insulation and the wire that will be soldered here. After the hole is drilled, solder a short wire to the pin, insulate it and reinsert it back in the socket. I used some glue to hold it there. Then you can safely implement the voltage circuit. Use Z36 as the 2.5V source.

Reply 4 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2022-01-02, 11:02:
You are correct. LiLin adapters were for Tualatin upgrade. But since on the box is stated that they can upgrade ppga to fcpga, I […]
Show full quote

You are correct.
But since on the box is stated that they can upgrade ppga to fcpga, I was wondering that at least part of the mod for the BP6 could be spared using those adapters.

That's exactly what I mean: AFAIK you don't need to mod the motherboard at all if you configure the LinLin adaptor correctly for use on PPGA sockets.
Or do you already know that and I just fail to understand your question?😅

Reply 5 of 17, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-02, 11:12:
Mamba wrote on 2022-01-02, 11:02:
You are correct. LiLin adapters were for Tualatin upgrade. But since on the box is stated that they can upgrade ppga to fcpga, I […]
Show full quote

You are correct.

That's exactly what I mean: AFAIK you don't need to mod the motherboard at all if you configure the LinLin adaptor correctly for use on PPGA sockets.
Or do you already know that and I just fail to understand your question?😅

BP6 needs some modifications to go dual Coppermine even with adapters, according to BP6.com forum.
Which ones are needed I do not know as the site and forum is closed.

Reply 7 of 17, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The quote you posted above re. [CLKREF, input reference voltage] mentions that the modification that requires through hole drilling in the motherboard is only necessary for fsb above 100MHz.
Just try the combination 'as is' like Doornkaat already suggested.

Reply 8 of 17, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are the modifications i made to the board from Mamba.
Unfortunately, the Coppermine(s) do not do anything, not even a code on the post-card.
The celerons do post with the modifications, but don't go beyond that.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 17, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After some searching on the web, I have this theory.
Assuming there are adapters Ppga to fcpga to be used(like my LinLin), the board stays in a “dual celeron Mendocino” status.
That is exactly the status of 95% of slot-1 to socket370 adapters out there.

So…

MAYBE to go dual coppermine it should be enough to mod both sockets exactly as you mod a slotket to go dual.
THEN the LinLin adapters should take care of ppga to fcpga conversion without further invasive modifications.

@Parke @Leflash (or anyone who want to contribute) do this make sense for you?

The only question is why a single LinLin does not work, according to the link I posted before.

Reply 11 of 17, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2022-01-06, 07:22:

MAYBE to go dual coppermine it should be enough to mod both sockets exactly as you mod a slotket to go dual.

The AN15=>N33 mod in the photos that LeFlash posted is the same as the one that seemed to be needed for your QDI slotkets:
Re: N33 Slotket mod requested, anyone?
But that QDI supports Coppermine out-of-the-box and the Abit board does not.
Celeron slotkets come in different flavours and so do the 'recipes' to mod them that float around the internet.
Most out-of-the-box dual capable slotkets support only Celerons.
The only success stories about BP6 without modding -that I found- mention the Powerleap Neo-S370 adapter as 'go between'.

NEOf3.jpg
Filename
NEOf3.jpg
File size
74.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There was also a Tualatin version of the Neo but the question is if it would work on the BP6:

370ver10a.jpg
Filename
370ver10a.jpg
File size
86.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Mamba wrote on 2022-01-06, 07:22:

The only question is why a single LinLin does not work, according to the link I posted before.

In this thread someone reports a success:
scroll down to: by Yogi_Da_Mis » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:04 am
https://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1134&start=100

Reply 17 of 17, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2022-01-06, 14:18:
D The AN15=>N33 mod in the photos that LeFlash posted is the same as the one that seemed to be needed for your QDI slotkets: Re: […]
Show full quote

D
The AN15=>N33 mod in the photos that LeFlash posted is the same as the one that seemed to be needed for your QDI slotkets:
Re: N33 Slotket mod requested, anyone?
But that QDI supports Coppermine out-of-the-box and the Abit board does not.
Celeron slotkets come in different flavours and so do the 'recipes' to mod them that float around the internet.
Most out-of-the-box dual capable slotkets support only Celerons.
The only success stories about BP6 without modding -that I found- mention the Powerleap Neo-S370 adapter as 'go between'.

I was lucky enough to get one of these Neo-S370 adapters fairly cheaply. I haven't tested it yet and I'm hesitant to drop anything into it, since it's a compression fit and may damage the CPU or adapter if I should decide to remove it again in the future. It has very clear wear marks on it where it appears as though a past CPU has been levered off of it.

Documentation for the Powerleap Neo-S370