VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am repairing a voodoo1 that has been treated pretty badly by somebody in the past.

The tmu had bent pins and in a bad state. After repairing all the pins and checking multiple times mojo shows 0mb tmu memory and 2mb fbi.

Games run but with artifacts and missing textures.

So either the ram on the tmu or the tmu is faulty. I took off the tmu ram and transplanted 1 chip from a donor card as a test.

Mojo still shows 0 tmu ram, I enabled logs and in the logs it shows error querying size for banks 1 - 4 on the tmu ram.

Anybody know if having only 1 chip could have this result and need all 4 to be detected? Or the tmu is the culprit?

My logic is there is no point soldering on all 4 chips if its for nothing if get 0 with 1 chip only

Reply 1 of 1, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the traces, caps, resistors to the memory, could also be that damage to the TMU has sent voltage to the wrong place and killed some of the memory ICs. Best bet would be to replace one or two of the ones you suspect are fried and see if it detects more memory.

You may just have to do a process of elimination here, EDO memory ICs that the Voodoo 1 and 2 uses are fairly inexpensive on eBay so getting more if you need wont be an issue.