VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you think of them? Personally I love them. Had one connected to a Mac many years ago. The whole deal was a package. Despite the obvious heavy use, the phosphorus were well worn, the graphics were still sharp as a tack.

I actually have 1, an old HP 19" (98788a iirc) which strangely takes an ntsc style signal. OK perhaps not that unusual for a single input-signal unit. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call it a composite style signal. But the tech literature shows that it highly resembled the ntsc format. Maybe other broadcast formats are similar looking also? Anyway there's no way of me utilizing this monitor. I do have an old HP computer that may even broadly fall into the same family as the unit meant to drive the monitor. But the similarities have their limits.

Most grayscale "2 page" monitors were either for Macs or (unix) workstations. I'm assuming. If there were any for pcs, they're few and far between.

Looking to hear what you all know about this somewhat obscure topic.

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scary monitor ? Only if it has ghosts or snap-crackle -pops when in use 🤣. Nahh do not know anything about big mono monitors. Biggest mono I had was a 14" though did see a bigger maybe 17" grey scale mono once or it could have been a grey scale VGA, not sure...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a time that the bigger and heavier a screen was the more valuable even if mono

I had a giant cornerstone 1600x1280 mono screen

Used it for business shows where I had to let customers see what I made on the screen (mid/late 90’s)

Ended up selling it with a souped up 486 Pc the custom graphics card emulated VGA (had dual output) and ram some early Windows 95 games well in a window on the big screen, nice, sharp and flicker free

Reply 4 of 10, by macroexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Sigma Designs LaserView that I run in a 486 in "dual head" mode with a VGA card. It does 1600x1200 in 2-bit grayscale (black, white, 2 shades of gray) on a big, but not too scary 19" mono monitor. It's paper white and still awesome for readability of high-res text. (And supported by Win3.11 and XF86Mono)

Still trying to debug a WindowsfWG 3.11 drawing issue where dropdowns cause artifacts near the bottom of the screen.

Reply 5 of 10, by Micki_HP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello chris2021,
I read about your HP 98788A monitor, and that you possibly would be ready to sell it, but you don't find anyone who is ready to pay for shipping ....
I am a collector (among other machines) of HP workstations from the Eighties; the big grayscale monitor would be a great addition to my collection.
Since I just have registered here I am not allowed to send you a private message; I hope you read this and we can get into contact.
Or maybe someone else would be so kind to inform chris about my request. Thanks in advance!
Michael

Reply 6 of 10, by octopus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old monochrome IBM monitor. Love that thing. We had it since I was about 5 or 6 years old, and it's still working today (over 30 years later).
It's attached to a Laser 80286 computer, I'm hoping to one day stumble upon an IBM 5150 to recreate my very first pc.
So no, not scary at all.

Reply 7 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always wanted a nice mono monitor for my old 68K macs but never came across one and shipping is pricey these days.

The only mono monitor I have (outside of a laptop LCD) would be the Atari monitor that goes to my 1040ST along with the color one next to it. The monitors get swapped out as needed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wonder how many got slurped up for props for Stargate Atlantis, for Genii tech. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 10, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Micki, I don't recall saying I wanted to part with the mono HP monitor. It may not even work particularly well. It's sort of an oddball beast. I may never see another.

I do have a total of 4 "large" screen HP crts. 2 16" true color trinitron units, 98789a and 98754a iinm, and an older perfectly rectangular color unit, which will need massive tlc. And the 99788a mono. Again I may keep that one for a while. The others have issues, but I'm willing to part with them.

Reply 10 of 10, by Micki_HP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chris, thanks for your answer.
An 98789a (resolution 1280x1024) and an 98754a (same resolution) I have got already; by the way, the latter is a large 20'' monitor. Your second 16'' color monitor might be an 98785a (resolution 1024x768), which is the most common of these.