VOGONS

First post, by kmikze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Toshiba T4600 with that pesky P30 error (it was actually showing also P31 on random times). I replaced the 1000uF capacitor which had a small visible leak, but now the laptop is not doing anything than just showing the "On" icon on the small LCD.

What I observed though is that the CPU is heating FAST so I suspect it may be a faulty CPU? Together with the CPU, it seems that also something from the power board is heating like crazy (is a small PCB with components covered in some melted plastic).
I desoldered all the big capacitors from the power board and test them and they seem good, but when I measured them with a very basic ESR meter (China brand), they showed smaller values. Maybe they are the problem?
I am no electronic professional, is there any way to accurately measure them with the classic multimeter?

I tried to decode the printer port values (read it in manual that can provide some clues about the error), but it seems it gives sometimes random values and/or not matching with any hex error code.. perhaps I was doing it wrong 😁

In this weekend I will try to replace those capacitors and try again, this is all that with my limited knowledge can do 😁
If anyone has any idea what could be or how to diagnose it, please give me some advice, I would really appreciate it!
Thank you!