VOGONS

First post, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been thinking of something.

Powerleaps and Kingston adapters are well loved by many, especially those with proprietary systems in where you can't just swap out a motherboard (think Packard Bells, IBMs, et cetera). I sure would love to have one.

Thing is, these aren't easy to find - as a matter of fact for the past 2 years or so I've been looking for a S7 Powerleap on European eBay and couldn't find any. I did find one but at an unjustifiably high price. (btw Pentium Overdrives seem to be unobtainium as well)
Which is odd, considering that it's not really a complicated device, and parts shouldn't be that hard to find, right? (maybe except the actual processor socket)

Has anyone thought of or tried their hand at making their own voltage interposer like that? I tried looking and in that area of interests I have found little to no info. No schematics for any adapter, and couldn't find any info as to whether anyone tried hacking at the thing. There was one guy who used an Evergreen X5 for their ThinkPad 701c, and I can't find the exact post, but I do remember that someone on this forum was also messing around with these adapters. There is, of course, Necroware's voltage adapter board, but that'd fit only for motherboards which do possess the slot for it.

What are your thoughts on this? Perhaps there is a viable alternative for the interposer altogether? Sure, you could theoretically put a, say, MMX 233 in a standard Socket 7 - I did that to my Packard Bell and it works, but it has problems with stability, correct CPU frequency reporting, and it's janky overall.

Reply 2 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-31, 12:44:

An S7 voltage interposer should be pretty easy. You can make your own design, just learn KiCad basics on YouTube and start designing.

Up to a point. These are lots of very fast signals very close together. I'd be concerned about capacitive effects etc. The voltage part is indeed trivial though.

If someone did make a good design, I for one would be making it. Managed to break a crucial pin on my Evergreen interposer so stuck without one for present :'(

Reply 3 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-01-31, 12:46:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-31, 12:44:

An S7 voltage interposer should be pretty easy. You can make your own design, just learn KiCad basics on YouTube and start designing.

Up to a point. These are lots of very fast signals very close together. I'd be concerned about capacitive effects etc. The voltage part is indeed trivial though.

If someone did make a good design, I for one would be making it. Managed to break a crucial pin on my Evergreen interposer so stuck without one for present :'(

I have an S7 interposer and all signals are just going straight through. Only Vcore, ground and BF0-2 are handled by the interposer and it only needs four layers with the inner ones being Vcore and ground.
Apparently it is that easy.🤷‍♂️

Reply 5 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

are there even any sources of new old stock socket 7?
Back in the day I modded 370 boards for coppermine compatibility by opening the socked up and breaking pin receptacles, dont remember why but I think some pins had to be isolated from the board and that was the easiest way. Sadly I dont think this would work for power delivery.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Question.

I’ve started a project for a socket 5/7 voltage interposer but have been distracted with other projects. And also honestly, kinda wondering about the logic of the direction that I took with it.

You, as one of the people looking for one let me pick your brain.

Originally I was thinking make the voltage signal as good as possible and use a really good regulator and build it on the interposer its self.

But here is the issue, assembly takes a lot of skill, and some of the parts are rather hard to find it turns out. A few years from now the parts I design it to work with may not be available at all.

So here is my idea:

Do the same thing with socket 7 that I did with the socket 1/2/3 interposer. And just make the pcb and put a tap on it for powering it externally. The parts required drops by a order of magnitude. The skill to assemble it goes down and the risk of not finding parts goes down a fair amount also.

So I’m kinda thinking that this is the way to go.

Or, instead of a fancy regulator like I made just using a linear style regulator super simple, small BOM, easy to make.

With the abundance of off the shelf adjustable switching power supplies available on aliexpress etc that could be just wired in it seems to be a better option.

Thoughts?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want one for a Socket 4 board. They did exist but finding any actual pictures of said adapters is pretty much impossible.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-06-19, 04:44:

I want one for a Socket 4 board. They did exist but finding any actual pictures of said adapters is pretty much impossible.

What are you trying to adapt? What into what?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 12, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm surprised that someone has not got into making repros of various socket/slocket adapters power leap made over the years. like even the powerleap ip3/t that thing goes for stupid money on ebay if u can even find one. plus 9 times out of 10 u gotta rig up the power cable because the people lost those. even the more basic ones that can just support the coppermine chips have become much tougher to get a hold of they pop up and sell right away.

Reply 11 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-19, 08:51:

Pretty much any Socket 5 and Socket 7 CPU could be run on a Socket 4 board.

See a list of the adapters that were made here:
http://www.pchardwarelinks.com/cpu_sock.htm#socket4

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-06-19, 14:21:
Pretty much any Socket 5 and Socket 7 CPU could be run on a Socket 4 board. […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-19, 08:51:

Pretty much any Socket 5 and Socket 7 CPU could be run on a Socket 4 board.

See a list of the adapters that were made here:
http://www.pchardwarelinks.com/cpu_sock.htm#socket4

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, socket 4 did have the 64 bit bus of the later sockets 5 and 7. The big issue is the physical layout and the use of 5v core and I believe 5v signaling. So a many layer design and smd construction will have to be done.

It should be possible to solve this with like bus transceivers or something. But not easily, not as easy as a socket 5-7 interposer.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-