FIC VA-503+ and K6-2+/570

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pinesal wrote on 2022-02-28, 21:00:

I found a brand new Linksys LNE100TX at the Goodwill and I want to use with with my VA-503+ but your report of it not working is discouraging. Were you able to rule out defective hardware or anything that might lead to the combo working in another situation? I can still return this if it definitely won't work.

Nice ! It might come in handy on a different chipset mobo ! How much did it cost ?
Only reason I ask is many things in my area at GW have more than doubled in last year or two making the items not a bargain 🙁
Sorry to change the subject.........

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 25, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-03-01, 00:31:
Nice ! It might come in handy on a different chipset mobo ! How much did it cost ? Only reason I ask is many things in my area a […]
Show full quote

I found a brand new Linksys LNE100TX at the Goodwill and I want to use with with my VA-503+ but your report of it not working is discouraging. Were you able to rule out defective hardware or anything that might lead to the combo working in another situation? I can still return this if it definitely won't work.

Nice ! It might come in handy on a different chipset mobo ! How much did it cost ?
Only reason I ask is many things in my area at GW have more than doubled in last year or two making the items not a bargain 🙁
Sorry to change the subject.........

it was $8.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 22 of 25, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, since you have a 570

SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 25, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stamasd wrote on 2022-02-03, 21:41:
BTW, this board is particularly reluctant to function correctly. […]
Show full quote

BTW, this board is particularly reluctant to function correctly.

Starting with the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. IO tried several revisions, and each trial ended up in a Windows reinstall. Finally the only one that worked is the very old version 4.17, and that one only on condition that the UDMA part of the driver was not installed, or else it would lead to lockup at boot like all the others. I can attach it here if anyone wants it, as it was very hard to find on the web.

And then, I had lots of trouble installing a network card. Went through a whole stack of PCI cards, none of which worked: two different Intel Pro/100 S, none of which was detected by the OS or by its own drivers (which were also very hard to track); a Linksys LNE100TX, which was also not detected; a Netgear something which in one PCI slot would not allow the system to POST, and in the other slots were not detected; and a 3C905TX, which was also not detected in any PCI slot.
And finally I got a smaller stack of ISA cards. An Intel Etherespress 10+ which was detected as non-PnP and installed, but locked up the system at the next boot. In the end, the last card I had on hand (SMC EtherEZ) installed correctly and din not prevent Windows for booting. Apart from that one, the only card I had left to try was a very very old 3C503 (etherlink II), fortunately it didn't come to that.

4IN1417.EXE

I want to make a quick update on the LNE100TX. It was reported earlier in this thread that it was not detected by the FIC VA-503+ motherboard however it detected and works without issue on mine, I do have the original driver disk for it so that might have made a difference. It works perfectly for me.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98