VOGONS

Plywood Power Mac G5 build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 50, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at the first 2 jpegs at the top of the page where your question appears.

Ok, it seems you're the OP. I meant no offense by posting the link, I realize it is a bit ot for the thread. But it happens. Don't let it deter you from elaborating on your project.

Reply 41 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2022-02-17, 07:41:

Look at the first 2 jpegs at the top of the page where your question appears.

Ok, it seems you're the OP. I meant no offense by posting the link, I realize it is a bit ot for the thread. But it happens. Don't let it deter you from elaborating on your project.

Its alright, i had honestly forgotten about the G4 discussion, been a bit to laser focused on G5s the last couple days. I don't know that i would post ebay links in threads in the future. It doesn't seem like the mods like that, i didn't ask them to remove your link they did it before i even saw your post.

No real updates on the plywood G5, im just enjoying using it at the moment, it feels nice to use. I wish it was faster but apart from that one issue with the door sensor its been dead reliable. I installed that lubuntu 16.04 remix on a spare drive and im pretty happy with it. It seems fine for just browsing forums and what not, i don't know that i would watch youtube on it though i haven't tried it out to see how well it works. I would recommend the lubuntu remix to other G5 users, i didn't have to do anything funny to get it working. I tried adelie linux as suggested by action retro on youtube but i was getting the same bizzare issues some other people in the comments said they had with stuff not rendering properly and stuff like the terminal being missing, doesnt seem like the bugs are completely worked out yet but it has potential. Im working on getting open bsd 7 installed but not all of the desktop enviroment packages for the ppc version seem to be fully working and i want more than a simple window manager. Ill get it working eventually but my bsd/linux skills just arent that great.

Reply 42 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got around to making the new sides and top for the plywood G5. When the weather warms up i will coat the plywood in polyurethane spar varnish exactly like my plywood music rack that its sitting on. I used aluminum angle iron for the corner pieces, its strong, easy to drill and looks good. I need to buy a countersink bit so i can make the bolts on the bottom corners fit better in the angle iron and make a few tweaks to general fit and finish. The top is held on with screws instead of bolts for easy access and because it didnt need as much strength. Its pretty solid as is, i wouldnt put a 50 pound crt on it but a flat panel and a keyboard will be fine, i might add some reinforcements though. The top fits down onto the sides and comes off with 5 screws, its a slight interference fit so it doesnt move around even without the screws. I flashed a sil3112 sata card for it so i can have 4 hard drives. I plan to put an ssd in it as the boot drive when i get around to buying one, then the current boot drive will probably become a scratch drive attached to the sil 3112. The other onboard sata is connected to a quick change drive bay that was originally meant to go in a pci slot. I wanted the quick change bay because i have a bunch of small capacity laptop drives that i pulled from old laptops. I can load each one up with a different linux or something and swap them in and out as needed. Then i still have one more spare port on the sil 3112, im not sure what im going to use it for, maybe esata. I have space for one more pci card as well that i would like to fill with something at some point. I could put a usb card in it but i dont really need more usb, same for firewire and wifi. I dont know what i would put in it so maybe ill just leave it empty.

Attachments

Reply 43 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2nd post for more pictures

Attachments

Reply 44 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another update on the plywood G5. I found a dual processor 2.7ghz G5 for sale locally. I was able to get it for 25 bucks as it was listed as broken. It came with 2gb of ram and either a radeon 9600 or 9650, case says 9650 but the card looks like a 9600. The liquid cooler had leaked heavily but fortunately the computer was kept upright and it failed at the hoses first rather than at the waterblocks. I think the cooler might have actually completely drained out, i dont feel any liquid sloshing. The processors look salvageable and are currently soaking in vinegar to get the corrosion off. The motherboard does not seem to have any corrosion at all. Both the case and the power supply were totally and completely destroyed. I have 2 spare 1.8ghz processors with heatsinks so i will swap those heatsinks onto the 2.7 ghz processor cards. I will pull the power supply out of the plywood G5 and test the 2.7 logic board and processors and if it works i will put them into the plywood g5 case. I will also test if the 2.7 processors will work on the 1.8 logic board.

Reply 45 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The dual 2.7ghz i bought works to some degree. I soaked both processor cards in vinegar, then water, then alcohol. Processor 0 seems to be working normally. Processor 1 is reporting erratic and often negative temp numbers and the computer freezes after about 3 minutes and has to be force powered off. I put processor 1 back in the vinegar and will repeat the process hoping to get it working again. I am unsure if the logic board is totally working either, some of the fan speeds dont make sense.

I tried putting the 2.7ghz processors in the 1.8ghz board and the 1.8ghz in the 2.7 board. Both times resulted in power on but black screen and no bong. Putting one 1.8 and one 2.7 in each board resulted in the same black screen no bong. A single processor in the 2.7 logic board will not even power on where a single processor in the 1.8 board will boot normally. These are not the results i expected, it seems like an insane amount of effort put into preventing any kind of processor swapping that just doesnt seem to exist in any other apple product. I cant think of a single other mac that went so far to prevent processor swapping. I would have expected the 2.7 board to boot with the 1.8ghz processors. And programming the 2.7 not to power on with only a single processor seems weird but i guess makes sense because both processors were attached to a single cooling unit and cant be removed separately, so if only one shows up somethings not right. But why bother wasting the programming resources to do that.

If i can get both 2.7 processors and the board to work properly and not crash i will put them in the plywood G5. If i cant i will box up the parts and look for another doner. Even if the processors and logic board all turn out to be bad at least i got a working radeon 9650 and 2gb of ram for my 25 bucks so im happy no matter what.

Reply 46 of 50, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

find someone who have ultrasonic machine and wash that processor board in it. Phone repair that does soldering will have one that is large enough to fit some of it and turn over to do other part.

They use it to clean liquid damaged phone boards for recovery or data recovery. We have one too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 47 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm, over a decade ago picked up an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner for wifey at a sale somewhere, got about a 4" square bucket on top... never thunk until now of trying to find where it went for cleaning CPUs in. (Got put away somewhere I think due to wifey not having any real intricate pieces that didn't clean up in regular soap and water.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-03-06, 00:06:

find someone who have ultrasonic machine and wash that processor board in it. Phone repair that does soldering will have one that is large enough to fit some of it and turn over to do other part.

They use it to clean liquid damaged phone boards for recovery or data recovery. We have one too.

Cheers,

I think the problem is the first time i didnt scrub the boards. I put processor 1 back in vinegar for an hour then scrubbed it with a soft toothbrush making sure to get under and around the legs of the surface mount chips near the capacitors surrounding the processor. After seeing how much cleaner it was and that there was no more yellow gunk around any of the parts and the solder was a lighter less corroded grey color i decided to do processor 0 again. I think it was a good idea because i could see more of that yellow gunk between chip legs on it as well. I went out and bought distilled water and soaked the boards in that, last time i used tap water. Then i put them in alcohol to get rid of the water. I have them drying in a steel can over a 100 watt light bulb now. Gonna let them bake for a while to make sure theres no more moisture anywhere.

No matter what theres a decent chance processor 1 might be damaged beyond repair as well as the board. The case and power supply were absolutely destroyed. The only time ive ever seen corrosion like that before is the bottom of a salt belt car. Ill try to remember to take pictures of it tomorrow. I cut the pump out of the lcs because i need it to pass thermal calibration and even that is messed up, theres chunks of plastic falling out of and off of it. There was no fluid at all left in the lcs and the inside of the computer was dry. It amazingly seems to have failed at one of the hoses first and dumped most of the coolant from there and only a little down the processor boards. Seeing all the corrosion i think its a miracle this computer works at all. Even if i can get the temp sensor working and the computer stable its still no guarantee it will pass thermal calibration. The logic board looks 100% clean but coolant could have seeped between the layers of the logic board where i cant see it and it would seem even from new the 2.7 G5 was never reliable, it was just a step to far. I ordinarily would never go for a G5 with a liquid cooler but for 25 bucks its worth it just for the graphics card and ram and for my processor interchangeability tests.

Reply 49 of 50, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is reason for best clean up is using ultrasonic to get out dirt in tight spaces like under the ICs, BGA etc. But best way is get another 2.7 processor that is not ruined.

Second, if powered with liquid under any BGA ICs, you will have shorts for sure, always reprrestive of time even 10 seconds. Cause is the solder corrodes easily due to electric leaks through liquid and fills space between solder balls with grey conductive paste that eventually hardens with age. I had to get data recovery on wet phones first run through ultrasonic cleaning but prior to cleaning have a visual inspection to know which ICs and components that was wet because corrosion get removed during cleaning, by removing some BGA ICs and clean them if they are irreplaceable (keyed to OS or hard to source), and board so I have fresh solder to bed on, or clean up the board and replace with new BGA ICs as long as it is not keyed to the phone.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 50 of 50, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-03-07, 00:31:

That is reason for best clean up is using ultrasonic to get out dirt in tight spaces like under the ICs, BGA etc. But best way is get another 2.7 processor that is not ruined.

Second, if powered with liquid under any BGA ICs, you will have shorts for sure, always reprrestive of time even 10 seconds. Cause is the solder corrodes easily due to electric leaks through liquid and fills space between solder balls with grey conductive paste that eventually hardens with age. I had to get data recovery on wet phones first run through ultrasonic cleaning but prior to cleaning have a visual inspection to know which ICs and components that was wet because corrosion get removed during cleaning, by removing some BGA ICs and clean them if they are irreplaceable (keyed to OS or hard to source), and board so I have fresh solder to bed on, or clean up the board and replace with new BGA ICs as long as it is not keyed to the phone.

Cheers,

The ultrasonic cleaner is definitely better but this was always just a test project. I soaked them in alcohol to absorb most if not all residual water then left them in a metal container over a lightbulb for a day. I was able to get it to run for an hour or so. The U3 chip seems to have cracked solder balls. The computer will only start from dead cold and it doesnt always detect the memory in the first slot. One processor is good as far as i can tell, the other still reads negative temps but otherwise seems to work.

During the hour or so it ran i ran cinebench R10 and R11.5. It ran insanely hot and was quite loud, i think the 2.7 was just a step to far especially air cooled. It is fast though, it scored 3533 points in cinebench R10 and 0.96 points in R11.5 vs the dual 1.8 at 2471 in R10 and 0.60 points in R11.5. Im keeping the dual 1.8 in the Plywood G5, Its way quieter and more reliable. If i can find a dual 2.0 or 2.3 with a busted case i might consider upgrading it but for now it stays the way it is. I put the 2gb of ram that came in the 2.7 in the plywood G5 so now it has its max of 4gb. Im debating if i should put the radeon 9650 in my MDD G4 in place of the 64mb 9600 thats in it or in my single 1.8ghz g5.