VOGONS

First post, by twix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some weeks a ago I received an IBM model 30 (8086) , that had been in storage for 25 years. If the info is correct, it was originally sold in 1987, and last used in 1997. The machine works fine, with the exception of the floppy drive. I suspect the caps have gone bad, as the drive speed is wrong, and there is no activity of the seeker motor.
I am trying to connect the machine to a network, and for that purpose bought a UMC9008F card. I selected this card because it should work in the model 30's 8-bit ISA slots, although the card itself is 16 bits. So I installed and configured the card to work in Jumperless mode using specified IRQ and base address. The configuration software and diagnostics software also work fine and indicate that the card is fully functional. However, if I try to load a packet driver, the machine completely locks up., requiring a hard reset.
Has anybody tried to use this combination of hardware and managed to get it working?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Does it cause an IRQ conflict by any chance?
Often, XTs have their HDD controllers on IRQ5 and ethernets card tend to conflict with the MPU-401 (IRQ, port address etc), I vaguely remember.

Anyway, good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by twix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-02-06, 23:35:

Hi! Does it cause an IRQ conflict by any chance?
Often, XTs have their HDD controllers on IRQ5 and ethernets card tend to conflict with the MPU-401 (IRQ, port address etc), I vaguely remember.

Anyway, good luck! 😀

Yes, that could be it. I did manage to get errors in reading the HD at some point during testing. I'll try to find some diagnostics programs to check what is in use.

Reply 3 of 4, by twix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have now replaced the Siemens 8086 processor with a NEC v30. This allows me to run the UM9008F software. All diagnostic tests complete without any problems, both the on-card checks and the network checks.
The CPU replacement now allows me to load the package driver, which did not work before. However, about 10-15 seconds after loading the packet driver, the system locks up completely, just like before. Not inserting the ethernet cable into the card seems to help though : in that case the machine does not lock up.

Reply 4 of 4, by twix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just in case that it might be of use to anybody in the future : the "9999999999_110.zip" set of files will work for the UMC9008F card (as installed in an 8-bit slot on a model 30 8086). No other set of drivers that I tried seem to work, either not recognizing the card, not doing anything at all, or even locking up the computer. Now the machine is connected to the home network by cable, next thing to do is to set up something to easily transfer files.