VOGONS

First post, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to get XTIDE (IDE_386L.BIN image flashed with a TL866II and padded with 0s) loading from a RTL8019AS ISA network card on my old Pentium 166 whose MB only accepts up-to-6GB hard drives.

My network card does not come with jumpers so I had to enable booting from ROM with the RSET8019 utility (address: C800, size: 16KB).

I thought I had done everything correctly but when my computer boots, XTIDE does not load at all.

Did I miss any step in the process? Do I need to change anything in the BIOS menu other than setting HDD detection to NONE? Could an error have occurred when I flashed the EPROM?

Thanks

Last edited by kalgon on 2022-02-08, 12:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The XTIDE images as released DO NOT include a checksum byte, without which your BIOS will not load them. I have argued with the project maintainers at length about this and they will not listen to my pleas. You must configure the binary with the provided utility or checksum it manually using a hex editor before flashing it to an (E)EPROM

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks. I will do that.

In the meantime, I realized I was using v1.1.5 (because I didn't want to use v2.0.0 which is still in beta)... so I flashed the v2.0.0_beta3 (IDE_ATL.BIN) anyway and got a little further: now I see XTIDE loading but it hangs after HD detection:

Master at 1F0h: xxxxxxxxx
Slave at 1F0h: not found
Master at 170h: not found
Slave at 170h: not found
***** hangs forever *****

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! You can test these images, too.. They do (did) work for sure.

Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

Good luck! ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried your images but got the same result. The only difference is that only 1F0h is checked and then the machine hangs.

I changed my BIOS settings to use IDE AUTO detection, it went one step further and printed "Booting C»C" but hanged after that.

I removed every other cards and only kept the NIC and the VGA cards... same result.

Are there MBs that are not compatible with XTIDE? Mine is a DFI G586IPC.

Thanks for your help!

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

get the latest binaries from here: https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/
load the one you want to use on XTIDECFG and then save it
then do this trick on TL866: select a 27C128 eprom, load the xtide bin and then
1. save it again -> you will get a 16kbytes file with padding at the end so you can use for multiplication to 32/64/128kbytes
2. just burn in 27C128 if it is the one you will use

the fact that you get a hang on "booting>>C" means that your CF (I assume) is not clean, do a FDISK /MBR to clean it - you might need to re-partition and re-install OS

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website