VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone been able to accomplish this?

A few of us have been trying on the Tyan s1564S/D but as of yet, no joy. 🙁
New clock gen for tyan s1564d (Research)

There are a few other boards out there though. (Dual CPU Socket 5/7 Boards ) But the only other fully featured 430hx that comes to mind is the ga-586DX

As of yet I’ve not seen anyone who has one that was able to overclock it.

Has anyone EVER been able to overclock a dual pentium? On any board? Ideally, a 430hx, but any would be cool to see.

The boards that I’m aware of with 430hx and dual are
Tyan S1564D
Gigabyte GA-586DX
Soyo SY-5TH0/SY-5TH2/SY-5TH5
And this amazing thing Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also the Asus P55T2P4D

When you say "overclocking", do you mean specifically the FSB >66MHz, or does jacking up the multiplier count too? Pretty sure I did the latter back in the day on on aforementioned board, running 2x P200MMX at 233MHz.

Reply 2 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-02-14, 00:13:

There's also the Asus P55T2P4D

When you say "overclocking", do you mean specifically the FSB >66MHz, or does jacking up the multiplier count too? Pretty sure I did the latter back in the day on on aforementioned board, running 2x P200MMX at 233MHz.

yeah, I mean fsb greater than 66mhz
Oh cool, lemme look that one up!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 6, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GA-586DX is quite a petulant board - even when it´s not overclocked.
I never managed to accomplish a stable WIN2K install. As soon as more than 2 PCI/ISA cards are present, you end up in IRQ-hell due to the onboard SCSI controller and poorly documented IRQ/INT routing.
But even when you solve all these issues the board still acts "nervously". I suspect the onboard L2 cache chips are operating at their limit under 66MHz FSB.

But I was successful installing NT 4.0 with a minimum setup: PCI SCSI controller, ATI 7500, 3COM ISA NIC and 256 MB RAM. As soon as you add (ISA) sound, you run into problems.
This system has been my (fun-) FTP-server for over a decade until today. I recently even moved it to a nice new case.

Reply 4 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
majestyk wrote on 2022-02-14, 06:37:
The GA-586DX is quite a petulant board - even when it´s not overclocked. I never managed to accomplish a stable WIN2K install. […]
Show full quote

The GA-586DX is quite a petulant board - even when it´s not overclocked.
I never managed to accomplish a stable WIN2K install. As soon as more than 2 PCI/ISA cards are present, you end up in IRQ-hell due to the onboard SCSI controller and poorly documented IRQ/INT routing.
But even when you solve all these issues the board still acts "nervously". I suspect the onboard L2 cache chips are operating at their limit under 66MHz FSB.

But I was successful installing NT 4.0 with a minimum setup: PCI SCSI controller, ATI 7500, 3COM ISA NIC and 256 MB RAM. As soon as you add (ISA) sound, you run into problems.
This system has been my (fun-) FTP-server for over a decade until today. I recently even moved it to a nice new case.

Did you try xp sp2/3?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-