VOGONS

First post, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

When I see the rate at which my old beloved 5.25" and 3.5" original floppy disks are dying, I was wondering if anyone had ever undertaken the mammoth task of remaking labels (true to the original ones) for old games that could be printed for new disks.

Does anyone know of such an initiative?

Regards,
Xavier

Reply 1 of 6, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is not only true for games, but for all software in generals. For most people old productivity software are meaningless, but they are part of history, the same way games are and they deserve to be archived properly too.
It is possible to find here and there disk images with a scan or shot of the medias (of very different quality). For my part, since I decided to archive my software collection, I made high quality shots with controlled lighting of my boxes and media. Unfortunately I haven't done the papers inside (manuals, warranty cards, maps, etc) because a lack of time.
There is a catch with some 3.5" floppies disks though as some labels are directly printed into the disk case, some have sticker with gold, silver or hologram effects. They are impossible to acquire correctly, not speaking of redoing them.
Also, some floppies have colored cases, that is a part of the identity of the program as the sticker is.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 6, by kalgon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer. At least I know now that I am not the only one concerned by this problem. I think I will do as you did and scan/photograph my labels to preserve them. It seems to be the only option for now.

Reply 3 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was just wondering about this very thing the other day. What I'd like to do is recreate not just old labels, but replicas of the disks themselves. Basically find NOS disks with the same colors and style as ones used by companies, and then replicate the labels. This way older games could be preserved and used from on a replica disk, rather than relying on originals.

Wondering if there is any interest in a project like this?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As a collector I view this as a very slippery slope…

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2022-03-21, 22:50:

As a collector I view this as a very slippery slope…

I agree .

In my book,

a) keeping the originals in the best condition possible, regardless of functionality (for collectability/authenticity)
and
b) actual using functional, but not aesthetically identical copies

is as far as things should reasonably be taken.

Alternatively, one might consider researching/developing a technique to safely open floppy disk shells and replace the actual magnetic medium and maybe the fibre inserts between which the medium is wedged . Not to everyone's liking, obviously (especially collectors).

Reply 6 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-03-21, 23:48:

b) actual using functional, but not aesthetically identical copies

FWIW, I could see replicas being designated as such. The intent wouldn't be to create identical counterfeits, but rather aesthetically similar reproductions.

Alternatively, one might consider researching/developing a technique to safely open floppy disk shells and replace the actual magnetic medium and maybe the fibre inserts between which the medium is wedged . Not to everyone's liking, obviously (especially collectors).

I guess this begs the question as to what is being collected. If the functionality of the original magnetic medium is moot, then arguably replacing it should also be moot. It seems the collectible value is more about the original plastic casing and label.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards