Rank Newbie
Rank

I was gifted a used PC by a family friend with the following Specs:

AMD A8 6500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

ASUS A78m-A Mobo

1000 GB HDD

Single Stick of 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz Kingston Memory

Standard LG DVD Drive

I've decided I want to build it into a Windows XP Gaming PC, it's currently running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

I'm facing an issue where every game I install and try to play doesn't work. One error I got stated: "Failed to Enumerate the Graphics System! If the Problem Persists, please contact technical support"

I've tried installing AMD Graphics Drivers, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

A lot of other games don't open or crash immediately after opening. I'm trying to run games from roughly 1998 - 2006.

Any way to solve this issue? Is my PC too powerful for Windows XP or do I need to install Graphic Drivers?

Edit: It has been solved, I installed the Official Chipset Driver provided by ASUS at their official website: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/SupportOnly/A78M-A … pDesk_Download/

2013/12/18, Version: 5.12.0.15 & 8.0.915.0

Last edited by Harry_Grunge on 2022-02-17, 15:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you need Video drivers AND you need DirectX 9.C for XP.
Basically your 2013 APC is a Quad core CPU with AMD 8570 HD graphics built in..IMHO the 8570 is a piss-poor video similar in performance to 3850 AGP from 2008 and less than a Nvidia 8800GT from 2007 when used under XP.
Just my opinion ;p

Ohh for drivers try these: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drive … -radeon-hd-8570

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. The GF8800 seems to get quite a bit of attention recently.
Just saw articles of the GF8 line a few times these days at forums like computerbase.de, for example.

Anyway, back to topic! - I did have a GF8 back in the late 2000s. It suffered from memory leaking at the time, if I remember correctly.
However, it was new enough to handle Flash ~10.2 and its graphics acceleration..
The GF8 series also was popular on Mac systems running Snow Leopard (10.6)..

How about a Geforce 750TI? It's XP compatible, still and works with 350W PSUs.
Ideal for upgrading old office PCs, also.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's recommended to do a fresh install of Windows, then install drivers for your motherboard model, then install drivers for your graphics card, then install DirectX. That is a basic order of operations for a basic setup.

If your Windows installation has become messed up due to failed/partial driver installations, and/or years of having random programs installed in it, then you are recommended to start the operating system setup again from scratch.

Reply 4 of 6, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-02-15, 22:44:

How about a Geforce 750TI? It's XP compatible, still and works with 350W PSUs.
Ideal for upgrading old office PCs, also.

Too new.
GeForce GTX 285 or older.
There was a thread about this, were people did show off glitches that happened when using a 700 series GeForce.
Re: Best WinXP Video Card

PS:
285 can be bought for 10-20€. I even got the 2GB variant for 10€, because one fan was broken. Those usually go for around 50 bucks.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually according to that some had issues with some newer AMD vid cards too. As it was back in the late 1990's and 2000's: No single video card worked perfect in every game, some you had to upgrade the driver for a specific game which then made a diff game have minor video glitches that did not before. Am old enought to remember those issues 😀 I think the GTX 750 would be a good for the OP or any PCIe 3 capable card since his motherboard is PCIe 3... better than any onboard video from AMD or Intel for gaming...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by Harry_Grunge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I installed a 32bit AMD Driver and some games like Hot Rod: American Street Drag work. But majority do not work, I've tested NHRA Drag Racing 2. When I try to run the executable it doesn't open. I also tested Hot Rod: Garage To Glory and it Crashes upon opening. Again, I'm looking for the best hardware for games between 1998 and 2006. I've considered a Pentium 4 HT Series CPU and Either a GeForce 8,7 or 6 Series Card. Anything that might be an issue with the hardware I just mentioned??