VOGONS

First post, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you es1s for the amazing archive link at the in the Compaq LTE Lite Bios thread I wanted to add to the knowledge base. Check out the other LTE Lite thread on how to download all the original softpaqs from the archives....

DO NOT USE THIS PROCEDURE ON THE COMPAQ LTE Lite. The Lite apparently does NOT support compactflash!!! and will physically damage the motherboard. I do not have personal experience with this. I have started this new thread specifically to separate the procedure from the Lites.

**** FOR COMPAQ LTE ELITE 4/50cx - NOT LITE ****

I needed to run a bios update but the floppy drive was completely dead on this series.

The LTE Elite I have has a CF-IDE adapter and I have a separate machine (toshiba 460cdt with floppy & cd & CF-IDE).

On the 460cdt (working machine)

1) format a bootable cf card with Msdos (I used 6.22) and a 16 mb CF card

2) Extract the softpaq onto a floppy drive (mine was SP5989- system rom date 12-23-97) by running the disk creator

3) Copy the contents of the floppy onto the CF card. The floppy seems to run a different version of dos but I can confirm that it is ok with 6.22 for me anyways.

The new rom was Comapio0.b97 on the floppy

I edited the config.sys on the CF card to remove/rem out the shell = a:\rompaq.exe command as I didn't want it to crash in the LTE Elite

4) put the CF into the LTE Elite and boot up into dos

I ran rompaq.exe and it recognized the laptop; made a backup file (called it campio0.6f3) and then flashed the upgrade.

The upgrade screen is a bit of nail biter and took ~ 3 min (no counter, no response). The message on the screen is that it should only take a few "seconds" but really, they should have said minutes.

After that, it confirmed the update. keyboard was dead at this point so a hard power cycle was required.

System now boot up and presumably on the new bios (how can we check?)

Hope this helps

** I have archived/attached the ORIGINAL bios that came with my 4/50cx (rom date 7-19-95). This is NOT the softpaq/update version and is archived here for interest sake in case there is an unexpected need in the future **

Attachments

Last edited by kleung21 on 2022-02-20, 08:07. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only see one post. More context?

Does the mobo have a removable chip? Programmer could maybe do the trick also.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 4, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-20, 07:41:

I only see one post. More context?

Does the mobo have a removable chip? Programmer could maybe do the trick also.

No need for a programmer. Not sure if the bios was on a removable chip and I don't have an eeprom programmer.

The BIOS updates were designed to be run from the integrated floppy drive (which are all dead in this series). This is one method to run the bios update off a CF-IDE adapter as the c: drive. This is a 486 class machine and supported bios flashing from the laptop itself.

Reply 3 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I see more text in the OP post now, I guess you were still typing

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 4, by Lara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there is a oem file that should do this?

Software name: System ROMPaq
Version: 4N3.99.9.23 A
Released: 10 Nov 1999
System: BIOS
Description: System ROMPaq for Compaq LTE Elite 4/­75
Type: BIOS Creates the ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for the Compaq LTE Elite Series, which allows a user to upgrade the System ROM.

hello, i have made a new post that may relate to this subject if anyone can assist or can use for reference in future. thanks
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C (factory restore) - Compaq LTE Elite 4/75C (factory restore)