VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, wanted to start a thread around testing coolers meant for other sockets on socket 3. Most but not all socket 3 boards have a couple tabs on the socket itself allowing for some type of retention mechanism for a cooler. Now most socket 3 CPU’s don’t even require cooling but once you get up to 66MHz or better it quickly becomes a requirement. Most of the coolers sold during this time simply attached to the CPU via plastic clips. This is well and fine if you aren’t pushing the CPU but if you need something a bit more it becomes a problem to attach something larger.

FCD8864C-F00C-498F-976E-8FC0C6BE1469.jpeg
Filename
FCD8864C-F00C-498F-976E-8FC0C6BE1469.jpeg
File size
41.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I understand this is fairly niche but it’s something I’m interested and want to collaborate on.

I’ve got a couple use-cases where I have two AMD 5x86 CPU’s that happily run at 180MHz+ but need a bit more cooling than the clip on style. Eventually I’d like to experiment with Cyrix 586 and Intel overdrive processors as well. If I were to use a desktop style horizontal case some of this becomes mute, as the cooler would be held with gravity, thermal paste, and maybe a drop or two of glue. But who has the room for desktop style cases? Mostly kidding but my builds usually end up in vertical tower case.

So far I’ve only tried one cooler intended for another socket but whose retention bracket looks to match up with the socket 3 tabs.

1070E04C-F209-4282-A2EA-5F5921149430.jpeg
Filename
1070E04C-F209-4282-A2EA-5F5921149430.jpeg
File size
195.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This guy got pretty close, it’s an Adaptec branded unit intended for socket 370. Unfortunately the bracket is just a bit too wide, and it has no articulation to allow for adjustment. Maybe bending it around a bit would get it closer. But this gives you an idea of what I’m testing.

I’ve also tested my own homemade solution bending a paper clip to fit my needs. It actually seems to work fairly well but needs long term testing. Another obstacle is component placing around the socket which can make it difficult to mount the larger heatsinks. This can be overcome in some instances by recapping with shorter caps or simply using the retention clip with a smaller heat sink.

I’ve spotted a few more coolers I want to try and I’ll share my experiments here. Would love to hear from anyone else that’s tried similar.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My solution for custom, cheap socket3 HSF:
1. 40x40mm heatsinks from Amazon, $10 for a pack of 4, for instance: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWFSBN3/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 40x40mm is the perfect size for socket3, they fit perfectly on top of a 486. For socket 5 or 7, use 50x50mm.
2. 40mm fan, take your pick among the dozens of options; attached on top of the heatsink with 2 metal sheet screws. (50mm fan if making for socket5 or 7)
3. Unbent heavy duty paper clip, bent back into a shape for clipping onto the retaining tabs.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have pics. Unbending and bending back is easy, use fine-tipped pliers. I personally use medical forceps for that.

150462.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No real issues. The shape you bend them in depends on the exact heatsink you use, and the position of the tabs on your target socket. I also use heatsink compound which helps a lot tacking down the heatsink to the CPU so a lot of the strain is taken away from the clip.
Make the custom bent clip as taught as possible, and avoid bending/unbending too many times because it causes metal fatigue which weakens it, it may break eventually. Better start over with another paper clip if you don't get it exactly right. It may be a little tedious but it works.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 10, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.
Digging out this thread.
Having the same problem.. have a lot of socket7 system, cpus, coolers, etc.
Have built a socket3 machine and, despite of having nearly 15 coolers, none works!!! the retention clips are not in a straight line just like socket7.

have one socket 3 buit, and went to see it and yes..it uses a metal wire cliping the cooler.

so i'm going to try this 3d print model of a 486 socket 3 retention clip
https://www.printables.com/en/model/48188-soc … n-cooler-holder

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    38.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 8 of 10, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Nuno, keep us posted. Just today I received a package from the UK that has about as close to an off the shelf clip you are going to find, as long as the socket has the off center clip mounts. Search eBay for “cpu Pentium clip”. The included metal clip attached perfectly with a strong hold.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again,

I've received my 3d printed cooler suport and it works... BUT, realized thar tha metal cooler was bigger than the suport, so i needed to chop it a little.

Then, i tghought.. Wat about testing the metal clip first ?

So, bended a metal paper clip, pit some tension on it and.. it works...

So 3d printed cooler support or metal paper clip, THE TWO WORK.

Attachments

• asus_1.jpg
    Filename
    asus_1.jpg
    File size
    122.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • asus_2.jpg
    Filename
    asus_2.jpg