VOGONS

First post, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Quantum bigfoot that broke some time ago. The drive spins up, initializes, spins down, repeat until bios shows as not detected. Confirmed that the IDE PCB is working fine and the platters don't seem to be damaged by a head crash. Can someone more knowledgeable help?

Reply 2 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-25, 06:12:

Quantum Bigfoot <---This here is the problem

These drives were notorious for their unreliability and simply giving up the ghost.

Yours sounds like a classic case of giving up the ghost.

Your problem is thing.
Things are known to always break.
Your thing has broken.

-Factually correct.
-Not very helpful to the OP.
-Inherently Zen.
😉

Reply 3 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-25, 09:18:
Your problem is thing. Things are known to always break. Your thing has broken. -Factually correct. -Not very helpful to the OP […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-25, 06:12:

Quantum Bigfoot <---This here is the problem

These drives were notorious for their unreliability and simply giving up the ghost.

Yours sounds like a classic case of giving up the ghost.

Your problem is thing.
Things are known to always break.
Your thing has broken.

-Factually correct.
-Not very helpful to the OP.
-Inherently Zen.
😉

Well hard to be helpful with this situation, I mean "ITS DEAD JIM" levels of dead and there isnt much anyone can do here.

Reply 4 of 18, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try running it upside down. My one and only Bigfoot drive malfunctioned about a month or two after I bought it new (with a Compaq Presario). I turned the drive upside down and it worked fine the entire time I owned the PC.

If that doesn’t work, “Taps” is in order…

Reply 5 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-25, 09:37:

Well hard to be helpful with this situation, I mean "ITS DEAD JIM" levels of dead and there isnt much anyone can do here.

Ikkyu Sojun wrote:

I'd like to offer something to help you, but in the Zen school, we don't have a single thing!

(Don't take my post too serious. I just wanted to make a Haiku. 😉 )

Reply 6 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-25, 10:14:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-25, 09:37:

Ikkyu Sojun wrote:

I'd like to offer something to help you, but in the Zen school, we don't have a single thing!

(Don't take my post too serious. I just wanted to make a Haiku. 😉 )

I do like the Haiku !

Reply 8 of 18, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the Bigfoot several things may be going on. You could look into:
- the coils to position the actuator may fail.
- The heads may be damaged somehow (big arm!)
- some read error for positioning data
- some part (s) on the PCB runs out of spec
- internal data chip corrupted

Good luck figuring those out, I wouldn't know where to start

If you have an identical but working drive, you may swap PCBs to find where to look.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 9 of 18, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-02-25, 10:56:
For the Bigfoot several things may be going on. You could look into: - the coils to position the actuator may fail. - The heads […]
Show full quote

For the Bigfoot several things may be going on. You could look into:
- the coils to position the actuator may fail.
- The heads may be damaged somehow (big arm!)
- some read error for positioning data
- some part (s) on the PCB runs out of spec
- internal data chip corrupted

Good luck figuring those out, I wouldn't know where to start

If you have an identical but working drive, you may swap PCBs to find where to look.

Have another one and swapped the PCBs and the same result. Working drive continues to work and broken one spins up and down. Thanks for the leads though

Reply 10 of 18, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is another issue quantum drives suffer from, creating a mechanical issue. They used rubber bump-stops to prevent the actuator arm from moving too far. But well, they disintegrate and become a sticky surface for the actuator, and if the actuator is freed from the stickiness, the bump-stops no longer function as intended causing more damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpkNURdf3Q

Also, I've had alot of quantum drives, many from back in the day. I would say that the failure rate of my drives over the years is perhaps 90%, which surpass pretty much all other companies I've come across. Failures include the bigfoot model. I just noticed one bigfoot previously working has failed now in the last year, and I think I have another I've never tried, but it's likely dead, just because experience with them.

Reply 11 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-02-25, 16:49:

There is another issue quantum drives suffer from, creating a mechanical issue. They used rubber bump-stops to prevent the actuator arm from moving too far. But well, they disintegrate and become a sticky surface for the actuator, and if the actuator is freed from the stickiness, the bump-stops no longer function as intended causing more damage.

Also, I've had alot of quantum drives, many from back in the day. I would say that the failure rate of my drives over the years is perhaps 90%, which surpass pretty much all other companies I've come across. Failures include the bigfoot model. I just noticed one bigfoot previously working has failed now in the last year, and I think I have another I've never tried, but it's likely dead, just because experience with them.

Even the IBM Deskstar drives ? which pretty much had a 100% failure rate.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/326292- … -deskstar-story

IBM got in a ton of shit and class action suits for these drives.

Reply 12 of 18, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-25, 17:41:
Even the IBM Deskstar drives ? which pretty much had a 100% failure rate. […]
Show full quote

I remember a lot of these failing in the IBM 300GLs we had scattered all over the workplace.

Reply 13 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-25, 17:49:
Show full quote

I remember a lot of these failing in the IBM 300GLs we had scattered all over the workplace.

Tends to happen when teh drive heads remove all the spinning rust from the platter 🤣

🤣

Reply 14 of 18, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Yes, Hitachi and the IBM Deskstars have their issues. But those deskstar models failed spectacularly and they had to address it, because... well, it's IBM. Anyhow, it looks like a few of their models that I have will outlast the quantum drives in my pile. We'll see. Maybe check back in a couple years.

Reply 15 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-02-25, 19:21:
Show full quote

Yes, Hitachi and the IBM Deskstars have their issues. But those deskstar models failed spectacularly and they had to address it, because... well, it's IBM. Anyhow, it looks like a few of their models that I have will outlast the quantum drives in my pile. We'll see. Maybe check back in a couple years.

I've had a few Hitachi HDDs .. they are all dead even the 1 and 2 tb models ended up dying. I should open them up and see if there is any platter damage.

Reply 16 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Respectfully, a Quantum Bigfoot failing is not a sad thing, IMHO. These things were cheap, slow, unreliable bottom of the barrel boat anchors even even when new and they have not improved with age .

Except for nostalgia reasons (which I respect), I don't see why anyone would to use a Bigfoot.

As for building a PC that contains one, I would be inclined to accompany it with a PC Chips 486 board with fake cache, a Realtek ISA VGA card (or maybe an Oak OTI37, whichever is slower), a Zoltriz AV206 or AV307 sound card, a Deer or Diablotek PSU (with an ATX to AT adapter), a 3Com 3C501 NIC and the rattiest partly yellowed/browned case possible (past use as a rodent latrine would be a bonus). A good name would be "Turdputer" .

A nice CRT with unfixable misconvergence, geometry issues, blooming, softness, crappy dot pitch and a buzzing PSU that gives off an ozone like smell would help too.

Full disclosure: I may be joking a bit .

Reply 17 of 18, by Geofand26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks for the tips however the drive is as dead as a dodo. The bottom 2 head sensors were not even on the platters and there is a big scratch under the first platter. The PCB board is working fine though so if you know any reason not to throw it away as well say it here
Edit: also found another identical drive so this one will go to the garbage

Reply 18 of 18, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Geofand26 wrote on 2022-02-26, 11:49:

Well thanks for the tips however the drive is as dead as a dodo. The bottom 2 head sensors were not even on the platters and there is a big scratch under the first platter. The PCB board is working fine though so if you know any reason not to throw it away as well say it here
Edit: also found another identical drive so this one will go to the garbage

Keep the PCB as a spare ...the next one may kill its PCB before the drive heads.