VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-03-04, 02:13:

I've sent him messages before, no reply.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 36, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try messaging naked1300 on the CPU-World forums. He'll get an email to his hotmail account (which I can't give out, as I only see it as a moderator). He may no longer use the email on his website. He was last active on CPU-World last March.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 22 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-03-04, 02:21:

try messaging naked1300 on the CPU-World forums. He'll get an email to his hotmail account (which I can't give out, as I only see it as a moderator). He may no longer use the email on his website. He was last active on CPU-World last March.

sent 😀

thoughts on how to go about the multiplier question?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 36, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, no.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the cpu galaxy guy can also be found on facebook.
I've several times seen him post his videos there.
can't recall the name though
think it was peter something...

edit: do a search in the vintage pc enthusiast group on fb

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 25 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently re did the mods to my tillamooks and in doing so, all the multipliers now appear to be accessible to me.

At 66fsb
I can go through the different jumper settings and attain these results
133mhz (2x)
166mhz (2.5x)
200mhz (3x)
233mhz (3.5x)
266mhz (4x)
Unfortunately no 4.5x is among them.. 🙁

And all three jumpers seem to be having an effect.

My best guess is that Intel locked the 4.5x setting on my chip. How they did that still remains a mystery. But it doesn’t seem proper pull ups and pull downs and trying all the different jumper configs are the answer.

For the time being I believe the 4.5x multiplier may still and possibly forever be out of reach for 266 and lower tillamook owners..

If anyone has a 300mhz model, I want to talk to you.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 26 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just talked to someone who has a broken green pcb style 300 they are saying that the chip defaulted to 4.5x when it used to work. I’m not sure if that means the other multipliers didn’t work or not. Or if the multiplier this person was using just happened to be the right one, but their experience seems to verify that a 4.5x multiplier exists on the 300 and suggests tillamooks in general may have it internally, though as no way to unlock the multipliers on mmx p55c chips has yet been discovered, it is assumed that these may also be beyond our reach

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 28 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-04-13, 15:50:

Golden tigers didn’t use to be very expensive,

Would have to analyze the pinout and decap but I’m guessing the fixed multiplier makes sense in a laptop

Well my plastic 266 has all sorts of multis that I can set

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 29 of 36, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:47:

Would have to analyze the pinout and decap but I’m guessing the fixed multiplier makes sense in a laptop

I guess that’s the difference between a surface mount laptop chip and a traditional chip used in embedded/industrial applications.

Reply 30 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:49:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:47:

I guess that’s the difference between a surface mount laptop chip and a traditional chip used in embedded/industrial applications.

I have a pcb style 233 but I dare not install it as pins are damaged. Would be interesting to confirm it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 31 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/dua … llamooks.74956/

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 32 of 36, by 0xCats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So as someone currently in the process of designing a dual socket motherboard and intimately familiar with the Pentium design I have been asked to add some details here.

When Intel went about designing the Tillamook processor they where not developing the next great Pentium CPU, it was developed in a matter of months as a stopgap Ultra Low Power mobile solution for embedded systems and bridging the cost gap to the complex and high power Pentium 2 Mobile processor board.

As such the Tillamook is a very low effort and I mean this in the truest sense die shrink of the Pentium MMX from .350 micron to .250 micron with many features and corners being cut to eliminate complexity and reduce power consumption.

This is where I reference the given documentation for the vanilla Pentium embedded "Intel Embedded Processor with voltage Reduction Technology" as Intel engineers themselves called it, showcasing these signals already removed.

diffs to pentium.png
Filename
diffs to pentium.png
File size
55.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
remove signals pentium emb.png
Filename
remove signals pentium emb.png
File size
160.32 KiB
Views
File license

Further information about specifically the processor can all be found at Section 3.1 within Intel Document 273203-001 titled "Embedded Pentium® Processor with Voltage Reduction Technology" as intel themselves called it.

And then for Tillamook, this being the "Low-Power Embedded Pentium® Processor with MMX Technology".
Reference Intel Document 273184-003 Section 3.1.
I have also gone about testing associated control registers for this signals on a Tillamook processor, and interaction with these results in hard lockups, resets or nothing at al..

Screenshot_20220605_153640.jpeg
Filename
Screenshot_20220605_153640.jpeg
File size
182.3 KiB
Views
File license

The signals and their related control registers have all been removed completely.

Last edited by 0xCats on 2022-06-05, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

There are two types of devices, those that know they've been hacked and those that don't yet know they're going to be hacked.

Reply 33 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I’m known for beating a theory to death to wring out all hope, but Even I think there isn’t much hope here.

These registers you are talking about, that’s through software? So you’re saying it’s not only missing the pins connection but the functions are shut down in the core? I recall I believe finding some connection on a few pins. So not all are technically NC But it doesn’t matter as you say as others are totally open, And the result of whatever they did is obviously no smp, and there doesn’t appear to be much(anything) we can do about it.

I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on with the 4.5x multiplier though. Best I can figure, intel locked it out like they did the 3.5x on the (not all). pentium mmx 200 for example. Anyway, as far as I can tell there IS a 4.5x multiplier, it does exist.

But I don’t have a 300 to experiment with.

Another interesting note is the two 233 tillamooks I have have the 4x unlocked. Which is odd.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-06-05, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 34 of 36, by 0xCats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes they are totally non functional on the the processors I've tested.
They also don't output the correct expected signals on PBGNT, PBREQ, PHIT, PHITM and and the DPEN doesn't drive the D/P signals appropriately to indicate dual processor or active processor mode.
The pins are just floating or High/Low with not even noise coming out of them.

There are two types of devices, those that know they've been hacked and those that don't yet know they're going to be hacked.

Reply 35 of 36, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
0xCats wrote on 2022-06-05, 13:53:

Yes they are totally non functional on the the processors I've tested.
They also don't output the correct expected signals on PBGNT, PBREQ, PHIT, PHITM and and the DPEN doesn't drive the D/P signals appropriately to indicate dual processor or active processor mode.
The pins are just floating or High/Low with not even noise coming out of them.

Great info. Thanks catsay.

Edited last post

Btw, yours is a film chip right? Mine are plastic like desktop mmx chips

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 36 of 36, by 0xCats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of note also is the issue that the Tillamook CPU's where largely first manufactured for the TCP320 thin film carrier package on which the private bus signals are absent.
These where then also packaged into the PGA carrier form.
As such the actual connection to the die for the private bus signals is not exposed at all.

I would have gone as far as modifying/micro-drilling a carrier package to get access, but it's just not on the table due to the package not having them wired out.