VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This machine ought to have onboard SCSI of some kind which the CD-ROM drive is hooked up to. Looking at the pictures posted on the other thread the SCSI card has a Compaq SMART 2/P or similar RAID controller which the disks are connected to.

You could pull the RAID card and probably hook the disks up to the onboard SCSI if it has a 68pin connector - you'd just have to make sure the CD-ROM drive was set to a SCSI ID that wasn't going to conflict with any drives in the hot-swap bays.

Reply 22 of 30, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-03-07, 20:13:

This machine ought to have onboard SCSI of some kind which the CD-ROM drive is hooked up to. Looking at the pictures posted on the other thread the SCSI card has a Compaq SMART 2/P or similar RAID controller which the disks are connected to.

You could pull the RAID card and probably hook the disks up to the onboard SCSI if it has a 68pin connector - you'd just have to make sure the CD-ROM drive was set to a SCSI ID that wasn't going to conflict with any drives in the hot-swap bays.

Nope no 68 pin on board and I posted the model number down below. I am wondering if I would be better off trying a different controller. But I am not sure what I am loosing if I switch SCSI controllers.

x515xx-5.png

Reply 23 of 30, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Winman486 wrote on 2022-03-08, 07:28:
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-07, 20:02:

Which scsi card do you have in use ?

Compaq Smart Wide SCSI model 194754-001

Yeah, thats a SMART 2/P RAID Controller - the batteries are a bit of a giveaway that its not a regular SCSI card. They will eventually leak too - I've got an older EISA model on my desk that looks like it will need its batteries desoldered soon.

Bit of a pain the onboard SCSI is only 50pin. If you weren't planning on using RAID then you probably wouldn't loose much switching to another SCSI card.

Reply 24 of 30, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-03-08, 08:56:
Winman486 wrote on 2022-03-08, 07:28:
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-07, 20:02:

Which scsi card do you have in use ?

Compaq Smart Wide SCSI model 194754-001

Yeah, thats a SMART 2/P RAID Controller - the batteries are a bit of a giveaway that its not a regular SCSI card. They will eventually leak too - I've got an older EISA model on my desk that looks like it will need its batteries desoldered soon.

Bit of a pain the onboard SCSI is only 50pin. If you weren't planning on using RAID then you probably wouldn't loose much switching to another SCSI card.

I tried one other SCSI card I had could not seem to get it to detect the drives the system saw it in the BIOS but I never saw its option ROM on boot.

x515xx-5.png

Reply 25 of 30, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Winman486 wrote on 2022-03-08, 07:41:

Nope no 68 pin on board and I posted the model number down below. I am wondering if I would be better off trying a different controller. But I am not sure what I am loosing if I switch SCSI controllers.

Smart Array 3200 and 4200 are officially supported on the PL5000 and in theory should be faster then the Smart Array 2
I doubt it'll let you use other video cards though

Reply 26 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

winman486, FYI, the only reason you would need scsi drive detection is to either boot from a scsi drive or use them in plain dos (if the scsi bios supports more than 2 drives in dos)

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 27 of 30, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking about it a bit more, this is a RAID controller. Has it been configured? I don't really recall what these things do when unconfigured but perhaps that's why you're not seeing any drives. Perhaps it doesn't just default to being a dumb SCSI controller but is expecting you to run the RAID Configuration Utility to tell it what to do.

Reply 28 of 30, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-03-09, 19:01:

winman486, FYI, the only reason you would need scsi drive detection is to either boot from a scsi drive or use them in plain dos (if the scsi bios supports more than 2 drives in dos)

I want raid

x515xx-5.png