VOGONS

First post, by Choux69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
As read in the title, my goal is to mount an old 80486 motherboard in an empty old metal AT case. I am quite confused by how to secure the MB. Indeed, there are several holes in the case: 4 small ones which are M3-like and many others with a bigger diameters. It came with only 4 nylon snap-in standoffs, but they are "snap-in" on both sides (no screw) and don't look very robust. I was considering using the "big" holes but today's standoffs available on the market are M3 with a too small diameter. Should I buy some bigger ones (eg: M10) or go with the snapins? And if I buy some new ones, should I choose nylon type or metal type? Some of the holes in the MB are circled by grayish zones, some are not... Should I use metal spinoffs on the circled holes, to ground the MB to the metal case? Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A picture would help.

Mounting an AT-motherboard usually needs these "slide in" stand -offs. Then there is one or more metal stand-offs to secure the board.

So basically I just snap in all stand-offs and then slide the motherboard upwards in place. Then secure it with M3 screw.

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_150012.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220305_150012.jpg
    File size
    957.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 3 of 4, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Choux69 wrote on 2022-03-05, 14:20:

Thanks. Looks quite clear. Do the standoffs need be metal, nylon or is it not important?

Standoffs are standoffs, so just for keeping the distance between board and plate. The more, the merrier. If the board's holes don't all correspond with those "drop shaped" openings in the plate, you can cut off the lower part so the board will at least have some support. They are supposed to be nylon, that being an insulator.

Then, the little brass thingy in the picture, that's a mounting post. There's usually only one in the case, to fixate the board laterally. But two won't hurt als log as they fit the board.

So, the standoffs so the board won't touch the metal, obviously. But also to support it if you plug in stuff like RAM or cards.
The mounting screw so it will keep the exact place and not strain the other parts attached to the case, the cards.

Take note that there are two major denominations of PC case screws and they tend to mix. In laymans terms, the finely threaded ones and the other.
Those brass mounting posts tend to vary, so have a squint at them and don't force it.

I like jumpers.