VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I pulled my ASUS P2B out of storage and found that it wouldn't power on. No matter what I do, trying to power it on just causes the ATX power supply to power cycle repeatedly. I removed all cards, CPU, and memory to try and trigger some kind of error beep but the thing just power cycles. Even removing the BIOS chip makes no difference.

I keep all of my vintage parts in individually sealed anti-static bags and in a safe location. I was testing things using those board extensively only a few months ago. I have no idea what could have happened.

Has anyone else experienced this symptom before?

Reply 1 of 16, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lots of experience here.
Just not with reversing the symptom.

Sorry. Boards tend to do that.

There are the BIOS bootup beeps, if you get that far, dignostic cards and of course, try another psu. Good luck!

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the PSU indeed, check the caps and then try to find if there isn't a hot spot on the board (maybe one of the MOSFETs is shorted ? It happened to me recently, I had a Abit VH6T that was doing something like this and after I did it a few times something smelled like burned electronics. And that was a mostfet. I replaced it and the board worked, although the CPU got killed unfortunately. Rip tualeron 1300)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2022-03-09, 16:58:

Check the PSU indeed, check the caps and then try to find if there isn't a hot spot on the board (maybe one of the MOSFETs is shorted ? It happened to me recently, I had a Abit VH6T that was doing something like this and after I did it a few times something smelled like burned electronics. And that was a mostfet. I replaced it and the board worked, although the CPU got killed unfortunately. Rip tualeron 1300)

I had a slocket in this thing last and was really torching up the MOSFETs. I put little heatsinks on them and left it at that. Maybe they got too stressed and something cracked inside as they cooled down.

I pulled out my multimeter to check this since it's an easy test and, sure enough, W1002C is shorted! It appears to be a PWM MOSFET, but I can't find the datasheet.

Now that I'm actually paying attention, both legs seem to be sitting on the same ground plane so they're supposed to be shorted? They are shorted to the back part of the MOSFET as well and that can't be right. I'll have to remove it to be sure.

20220309_141556_resize_98.jpg
Filename
20220309_141556_resize_98.jpg
File size
164.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220309_143503_resize_47.jpg
Filename
20220309_143503_resize_47.jpg
File size
153.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't quote me on that, but I'm not sure this is a transistor, looking at the symbol on the bottom left, it seems like it's some sort of diode

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 16, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found it !
This is a HRW1002A, i don´t know the differences for the HRW1002C...
But your problem is not this component, you need to see the transistor next it...
Good luck

Attachments

• Filename
    HRW1002A.pdf
    File size
    39.36 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 16, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-10, 09:05:

I've never seen a diode in a TO-220 package before.

It's not a diode, it's two diodes.
You could probably buy it for 30 ct. If you're taking 10.000 of it.
https://www.transistorall.com/transistor-data … t?search=W1002C

I like jumpers.

Reply 11 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-03-10, 09:41:

It's a rectifier diode array, very common in that package. Basically Pin 1 -->|-- Pin 2 (Tab) --|<-- Pin 3.

I don't know much about electronics but if it's a diode then shouldn't voltage be blocked from the tab to the legs in one direction? The diode setting in my meter reads a signal in both directions.

I went ahead and lifted the two legs and measured the diodes to be fine. It's not a dead short but I'm reading very low resistance between the two pads that the diode connects to (anode to cathode). I wasn't able to find a dead short on any of the components I tested elsewhere. I don't know if this is normal, since I don't have another identical board to test against.

The capacitors are all genuine Rubycon and Sanyo capacitors and would be surprised if they were the problem. They all look to be in good condition.

Reply 12 of 16, by SDumas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
First thing to do : test the motherboard with a know good power supply.
If there is no boot, verify with a multimeter on resistance all this pins (3.3V, 5V, 12V, -5V, -12V) on connector to ground (ATX connector) see figure.
Important : Connector of the ATX power supply disconected from the motherboard
If you have a resistance very low, most the time near 0 ohm, you have found the short.
The idea is to have less components to verify, if you know where the problem is...
Sorry for my english...

Attachments

• ATX.png
    Filename
    ATX.png
    File size
    12.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2022-03-09, 17:25:

Damn! Now I gotta go through a box full of P2B checking for that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-10, 15:54:
fool wrote on 2022-03-09, 17:25:

Damn! Now I gotta go through a box full of P2B checking for that.

My P2B is revison 1.10 and there are no large diodes like the one on the P3B-F. The next closest thing would be the TO-220 diode which tested fine once I lifted the legs.

It doesn't make sense for there to be continuity where the diode would connect. It's not a dead short but the diode setting on my meter beeps and the resistance measures very low.

Reply 15 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kahenraz, are you measuring with or without the cpu installed?
also
What resistance value are you measuring ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 16 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My P2B-F has similar layout by the SIMMS. Those are not for the CPU but for the ram, for the CPU they are between Slot-1 and the parallel port and have dual coils....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun