VOGONS

First post, by Luca91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I have an Iomega Zip 100 bought by my dad in late 90s. Last time I used it, it was 2002 on an old Pentium 133 with parallel port.
I'd like to try to connect it to a current system, in the attempt to make a dump of these "big floppies".
I was about to buy an USB-TO-PARALLEL adapter, but I've read that I need one with a special chip otherwise it will not work, since it isn't a real parallel port, but rather a SCSI. (Here the source: https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/ques … rt-to-modern-pc ).

In general a USB parallel port cable won't work — they are driven by the usblp driver, which supports printer operations but not parport operations. The exception is USS720-based devices, which do expose a parport interface, and should work. It's an old chip, but adapters using it appear to be available to this day.

So, do you know any of these USS720-based cables that will work?
Another important thing: Some of the files on these floppies (if they still works) are infected (I know this for sure from another backup), so if possible I prefer to make these dumps in my linux machine. Since I see that linux kernel drivers are available (from that stackexchange answer) I don't think this is a problem. Please confirm.

Thank you very much,
Luca

Reply 1 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a parellel port header on your modern motherboard or legacy pci? It seems like it would be easier to add parallel to the PC. Might be able to find a x1 pcie parallel card or something like that?
EDIT: a working usb zip driv seems like th simplest solution. Not sure if Windows 10 still treats them like Flash drives but Windows 7 did.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 5, by Luca91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2022-03-14, 01:47:

Do you have a parellel port header on your modern motherboard or legacy pci? It seems like it would be easier to add parallel to the PC. Might be able to find a x1 pcie parallel card or something like that?
EDIT: a working usb zip driv seems like th simplest solution. Not sure if Windows 10 still treats them like Flash drives but Windows 7 did.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yeah surely adding a parallel port to the pc would be the best idea, but I only have laptop computers 🙁
It is compilcated to use this ancient hardware on modern systems 😒

I'll give a look at these usb zip drive, but I'm not even sure if my floppies are still working tho.

EDIT: Another idea: I still have this Pentium 133 in the attic. In 2018 I installed FreeDOS on it. It still works but have some random freezing problems (probably faulty hardware). I was thinking: maybe I can find Iomega Zip drivers for dos and give it a try on that computer.

EDIT 2: found these drivers for dos, maybe worth a try: https://archive.org/details/iodrv-dos-x86-10

Reply 3 of 5, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Luca91 wrote on 2022-03-13, 23:16:

Hi all,
I have an Iomega Zip 100 bought by my dad in late 90s. Last time I used it, it was 2002 on an old Pentium 133 with parallel port.

Hi, I've never owned a parallel version of ZIP drive; could it be built with an IDE internal ZIP enclosed in an external casing with some adapter circuitry? If so then an USB-IDE adapter cable would be much easily available and compatible than an USB-parallel cable.

Reply 4 of 5, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've never owned a parallel version of ZIP drive; could it be built with an IDE internal ZIP enclosed in an external casing with some adapter circuitry? If so then an USB-IDE adapter cable would be much easily available and compatible than an USB-parallel cable.

AFAIK most parallel port ZIP drives use scsi->parallel conversion internally.

OP could maybe try a bit more convoluted setup : usb to expresscard adapter and then expresscard to parallel port card. But this could pose similar problems to usb->parallel adapters.

However, instead of finding compatible adapter cable or native usb zip drive, it would probably be faster and cheaper to just buy some random old computer with parallel port.

Reply 5 of 5, by Luca91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks both for your replies.

@chiveicrook you are correct on all your claims. The Zip drive uses SCSI->PARALLEL internally.

I've found another old P4 with parallel port, maybe I can run a live windows 98 (yeah, I just figured out that live windows 98 actually exists ahah) and try to connect the Zip drive. Ohterwise there is still a chance with FreeDOS.