VOGONS

First post, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have two boards which have AT power connectors, and they both show the same behavior: when I use them with an AT PSU they work (i.e. boot, I'm not doing any stability test yet to these machines), but when I plug my test PSU (with a passive ATX-to-AT adapter), it shuts down immediately, like if a protection was kicking in. This same PSU works well with modern boards, I've regularly used it to test socket 775 systems, although it might be a bit in the "old and cheap" side being a no-brand 450W unit.

I've read about the issues with ATX PSUs in AT boards (missing -5V, dummy loads, overcurrent in 5V), but people usually don't describe the same problem I see here. I'm suspecting the boards are at fault somehow, and would like to know if the symptoms are common or point to a particular kind of problem.

The problematic motherboards are: 1) a dual socket 370/slot 1 board with AT and ATX power connector, and 2) a Socket 7 board from a Compaq Presario.

1) boots about half the time with the AT PSU, the rest of the time it stays on but doesn't POST. When using the ATX PSU, either connected to the ATX connector or to the AT connector with the adapter, the PSU immediately shuts down.
Another thing I noticed, that might or might not have anything to do with it, is that the AGP video cards I plug seem to get really hot in the opposite side to the video chip, to the point that I tested a few that now have a brownish area there. This might be normal, the cards might be defective, or getting hot might just be their normal way of operation, but I don't have a lot of experience with them (I should try them with other boards to see if they behave the same)

2) boots every time with the AT PSU, but I had to replace a few SMD tantalum caps that exploded when I plugged it in for the first time. I replaced them with electrolytic caps because that's all I have on hand, but the point is that it might have other issues caused by the caps shorting out.

Any hints?

Reply 1 of 2, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May need -5v

So it turns on, then right off? (When you short the green and black)

Any chance you wired up the switch to a momentary switch? It needs to be a switch that stays closed

Many of those dual psu type mobos require you to change some jumper settings to use one vs the other

Any chance you are trying to use a dell psu? Or one with weird wiring?

Get out a volt meter and make sure you have the correct voltages where they should be

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 2, by carlitosbala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I got a friend to lend me a couple of old PSUs and the Compaq board worked well with a few of them, and I'm now trying to set it up (had to learn about Compaq machines and their hidden setup partitions, and for some reason finding info about the model I have (Presario 7222) is quite difficult, I haven't managed to find a lot about it.

So that one is working, and I'll assume the issue was the PSU somehow not being compatible with it. I have to test the PII board again, as that is where I'm seeing the weird behavior, but these days the Compaq is eating my "free" time.

To answer the questions:
* The "bench" PSU does have -5 and -12, so that can be ruled out
* What I was doing for testing was to put a paper clip between the green wire and ground, so the connection is permanent.
* I didn't see one, but will check again. This board doesn't have a clear model ID but the closest I've found is the M726MRT, which doesn't have a selector for power or for the type of CPU.
* Nopes, it is a generic psu

Anyhow, the post was more a question of whether the behavior I was seeing could be related to some board failure, so not seeing the reply going that way is encouraging. I'll check the P2 board again once I finish setting up the Compaq

Regards