VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Took a chance on an untested board and so far have been unable to get it to post. I could of sworn the first couple boot attempts the keyboard lights were solid and now they only flash briefly. I connected a post diagnosis card with speaker and I’m not getting any beeps or codes. The board looks immaculate so hoping I can still salvage it.

I’ve tried the following:

-Flashed several different bios revisions on a couple different EEPROMs
-removed memory, cache, and video card, leaving only CPU and Post card
-changed cmos battery
-Tested voltage at eprom bios socket
-tested voltage on VRM
-visually inspected board from trace damage or bad solder joints
-cleaned entire board with IPA
-removed top of cpu socket to check for bent pins on socket
-have tried several different CPU jumper settings and a few different CPU’s

What are next steps I can try?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-03-26, 22:21:

I could of sworn the first couple boot attempts the keyboard lights were solid and now they only flash briefly. I connected a post diagnosis card with speaker and I’m not getting any beeps or codes. The board looks immaculate so hoping I can still salvage it.

what exact make/model is the board AND can you take a picture looking straight down on the board ?
Actually having the KB lights briefly flash is what is supposed to happen. If on solid that is a bad sign.
Have you tried the post card in a ISA sot ? Most PCI need the Diag card in a PCI slot but knwoing what happen in ISA might help...
There is no ram and are no cache chips (not that it should prevent most boards from booting with an error code)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 20, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the same failure mode I experienced this past week before my motherboard went up in smoke.

One of my computers caught fire today

It's possible that there is a short on the motherboard and the power supply is shutting itself off due to short circuit protection. Can you hear a *click* sound from the PSU, like a relay is being tripped? I'm not sure if it's actually a relay as part off this mechanism, but this is what it sounded like from my power supply.

Test for continuity between all voltage rails on the AT power pins and ground to see if there is a dead short.

Reply 5 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get an SX33 or something equally undesirable, put it loose in the socket so it's standing a couple of mm out, bring the lever over near to lock and scrunch the CPU into the socket, repeat a few times.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-03-27, 00:46:
what exact make/model is the board AND can you take a picture looking straight down on the board ? Actually having the KB lights […]
Show full quote
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-03-26, 22:21:

I could of sworn the first couple boot attempts the keyboard lights were solid and now they only flash briefly. I connected a post diagnosis card with speaker and I’m not getting any beeps or codes. The board looks immaculate so hoping I can still salvage it.

what exact make/model is the board AND can you take a picture looking straight down on the board ?
Actually having the KB lights briefly flash is what is supposed to happen. If on solid that is a bad sign.
Have you tried the post card in a ISA sot ? Most PCI need the Diag card in a PCI slot but knwoing what happen in ISA might help...
There is no ram and are no cache chips (not that it should prevent most boards from booting with an error code)

Revision 2.1, pic attached.

When I say flash, it’s like a millisecond, not the full on bright for one second usual deal and then off.

When I try the post card in the ISA slot it has one less LED lit I think, I’ll get a pic of this as well.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-03-27, 03:16:

why are you using a kingston upgrade cpu, the mobo looks like it has a voltage regularor

Was just a quick way to test if the CPU socket was getting any kind of power.

Reply 10 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-27, 03:18:

Get an SX33 or something equally undesirable, put it loose in the socket so it's standing a couple of mm out, bring the lever over near to lock and scrunch the CPU into the socket, repeat a few times.

Interesting, what does this do exactly?

Reply 11 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-27, 02:50:
This is the same failure mode I experienced this past week before my motherboard went up in smoke. […]
Show full quote

This is the same failure mode I experienced this past week before my motherboard went up in smoke.

One of my computers caught fire today

It's possible that there is a short on the motherboard and the power supply is shutting itself off due to short circuit protection. Can you hear a *click* sound from the PSU, like a relay is being tripped? I'm not sure if it's actually a relay as part off this mechanism, but this is what it sounded like from my power supply.

Test for continuity between all voltage rails on the AT power pins and ground to see if there is a dead short.

Not hearing any noises from PS. I’ll check for shorts as mentioned! The PS does work with other boards for sure.

Reply 12 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! very clean looking board. Makes me think the BIOS chip is bad or has failed.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-03-28, 02:33:

Thanks ! very clean looking board. Makes me think the BIOS chip is bad or has failed.

Yep, would have thought the same. I’ve tried several different bios versions and two different brands of EEPROM. Still no go.

Reply 15 of 20, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If these are used to adapt for different CPUs they are usually not resistor netwotks but a combination of 4 jumpers.
They are very hard to find today but you can build them yourself or use 4 single jumpers made of thin wire.

Reply 17 of 20, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2022-06-29, 05:21:

If these are used to adapt for different CPUs they are usually not resistor netwotks but a combination of 4 jumpers.
They are very hard to find today but you can build them yourself or use 4 single jumpers made of thin wire.

I believe this is the correct answer.

Reply 18 of 20, by Catlamity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's in a socket, but it is smaller than the pins on say a ide ribbon pin. It is more the size in diameter of a normal resistor. The issue with the network resistor is they come in different circuit types the B type are just straight jumpers of 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc... But the non b types are different. Which is why i asked.