VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

Back in 2003 i had a big dilemma.
I was a teenager with not a lot of money, but i wanted to replace my computer (an old 2nd hand Pentium III 550)
Should i go for a highend Athlon XP or a rather lowend Athlon 64.
I waited a bit and i finally bought an Athlon 64 on a 939 Motherboard.
But this late Athlon XP thing stayed in my mind until now.

I have quite some stuff from this era (late 90's early 2000's are my personal preference era).
And i wanted to propose a "collaborative build game", by listing my parts, proposing a build based on them (or based on parts i should get).
An i will listen to all propositions, arguments, debates (votes ?)
And i will ultimately build the config (if i can).

My goal for this build is to reflect a period correct late Athlon XP gaming machine. Of course, one way to pick the parts would be to chose the best performers, but 'm really interested in odd choices.
The era to cover is 2002-2004 since i already have good gaming machines for 2000 and 2005 era. This Athlon XP is a bridge between the two.
I have a shortlist for some parts i own, but almost all my hardware is listed here , and i can also buy things if it worth it :

• Motherboard
    • MSI KT6V (VIA KT600)
    • MSI K7N2 Delta-L (nForce2 Ultra 400)
  • CPU
  • Cooler
    • Stock Athlon XP
    • CoolerMaster Aero 7+
    • Thermaltake ''Volcano 9''
  • GPU
    • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    • Matrox Parhelia
    • nVidia Quadro 4 980XGL (~= GeForce4 Ti4800)
    • ATI Radeon 8500LE
    • Other ? (see here )
  • Sound
    • Motherboard
    • SoundBlaster Live! (CT4620)
    • Other ? (see here )
  • Memory
    • 1GB Kit Corsair XMS CMX512-3200XLPT (2.2.2.5)
    • Standard DDR400
  • Storage
    • Motherboard IDE (I would go for a 80GB for this era, but i don't have one)
    • RAID0 WD Raptor 36Gb (Via motherboard or via my 3ware escalade PCI/PCI-X raid card)

Feel free to comment/debate/flame... or not ! (i hope some will be interested. If so, i have more idea of builds)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to play any DOS games on that system, go with a motherboard based on a VIA chipset. NForce motherboards are terrible with regards to DOS compatibility. An Athlon64 build makes more sense if you want to get better performance in late Win9x and early WinXP games such as Deus Ex, Serious Sam and Splinter Cell.

Instead of a SBLive I would go for an Audigy2 ZS for cleaner output and EAX3 support. It will work fine under Win9x too.

That GeForce4-based Quadro will have slightly better compatibility with Win9x games due to table fog and paletted texture support. It's also the best card for some early WinXP stuff like Splinter Cell. But the 9700 Pro provides much more performance overall, especially in higher resolutions.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me the quintessential Socket A is a KT333 with a Palomino 2000 and Radeon 8500. This was what I upgraded to from a P3-500 and GeForce 2 GTS. So good...

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 9, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1997-2002, 2003, is my favourite PC era too.

From what you have at disposal, I would use the following:

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta-L
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
GPU: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
RAM: 1GB Corsair Kit (although a 2GB kit in dual channel would be more suitable for that build )
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Live!
Storage: It seems that board does not have s-ata connectors unfortunately. I would go with a quality (Hitachi, for instance) IDE drive, then.
OS: Windows XP (SP2, although SP3 won´t harm that much a build that strong)

Reply 4 of 9, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-03-28, 10:20:

If you want to play any DOS games on that system, go with a motherboard based on a VIA chipset. NForce motherboards are terrible with regards to DOS compatibility. An Athlon64 build makes more sense if you want to get better performance in late Win9x and early WinXP games such as Deus Ex, Serious Sam and Splinter Cell.

I already have both earlier (~2000) and later (~2005) builds. One based on P-III/GF256/Vortex the other on Opteron64/GTX7800SLI/X-Fi. I'm planning a Slot 1 build for early windows 98 / DOS games.
This Athlon XP thing is for me more an "in-between".

Instead of a SBLive I would go for an Audigy2 ZS for cleaner output and EAX3 support. It will work fine under Win9x too.

I never had an Audigy2 range card. I will read some reviews. Thank you for the suggestion.

appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-28, 10:42:

For me the quintessential Socket A is a KT333 with a Palomino 2000 and Radeon 8500. This was what I upgraded to from a P3-500 and GeForce 2 GTS. So good...

I used my P3 a little longer. At least until late 2003 (time to save money for the next config). But considering that i was mainly playing CS and Diablo II, this was OK.
I had a KT333 board (it is still referenced in my hardware list) but i could not revive it. (I gave it away last week with some other dead boards to someone in my neighbourhood)
Generally speaking, on the 5 or 6 SocketA MB i had in the last few years. Only two were working (the two i list in the topic).
I also have a nice early SocketA board with support for SDRAM. I always wanted to compare performances. But is doesn't POST. Maybe i could plan 2 Athlon builds. One early, one late.

Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-03-28, 13:27:

1997-2002, 2003, is my favourite PC era too.

Yes, i'm a little young for DOS games. I played some, but i really grew up with Windows games from late 90's

Con 2 botones wrote on 2022-03-28, 13:27:

Storage: It seems that board does not have s-ata connectors unfortunately. I would go with a quality (Hitachi, for instance) IDE drive, then.

I have a PCI / PCI-X SATA Hardware raid card that works well.

Reply 5 of 9, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The main question for me would be what OS are you wanting to run primarily? For Windows 98, I wouldn't go stronger than Geforce4. A mobile type of CPU or one that would be adaptable for a few different speeds could be useful too. It's why I use a 2900+, for the 10x multiplier.

I think the Nforce2 is a great platform if you have no expectations of running DOS. I would use it and the Corsair RAM, which I also have. I'm not crazy about Creative cards, even though I run one. I would use the onboard Soundstorm audio if I were you. The only reason I do not is for HD-AUDIO front panel on my reverse sleeper build. I may switch it back out for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which I've always had a soft spot for.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 6 of 9, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Athlon XP 3200+, MSI K7N2 Delta-L, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, SoundBlaster Live! gets my vote for a Windows XP build. Your PIII machine can handle all Windows 98 games.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 9, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i am not much of a perioud correct builder myself, i just build systems that i like with high end parts. Socket 462 is one of my favorites, Slot 1 and dual 370 boards..

From all of these cards the Radeon 9700 is the best and also makes the most sense, unless u want to be more unique, then go with the Parhelia card, the MSi board is very solid, the one i own is mostly builded with Rubycon caps. For CPU you can use Mobile Barton and clock it/ set it as you want higher speed and more heat, or some balance like 2.2GHz with undervolting...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 8 of 9, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ptr1ck wrote on 2022-03-28, 14:21:

I'm not crazy about Creative cards, even though I run one.

In fact, i will give it a try, as i found one for 8€ inc. shipping... I would not have bought one if it were ~15€. But for 8, at least i can compare.

Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-28, 20:58:

From all of these cards the Radeon 9700 is the best and also makes the most sense, unless u want to be more unique, then go with the Parhelia card

AlexZ wrote on 2022-03-28, 19:51:

Athlon XP 3200+, MSI K7N2 Delta-L, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, SoundBlaster Live! gets my vote for a Windows XP build. Your PIII machine can handle all Windows 98 games.

Yes, that's the logic answer. This set of parts are the most performant and the most period accurate.

I like the idea of using the Parhelia, but its performances are around a Radeon 8500 or Entry/Mid GF4.
Most of the games from this era were not using DX9 already. But even on DX8, the Radeon 9700 was the most performant card.

Radical Vision wrote on 2022-03-28, 20:58:

For CPU you can use Mobile Barton and clock it/ set it as you want higher speed and more heat, or some balance like 2.2GHz with undervolting...

A mobile type of CPU or one that would be adaptable for a few different speeds could be useful too. It's why I use a 2900+, for the 10x multiplier.

Yes, i forgot about the mobile versions with unlocked multiplier. I will keep an eye on that.

The main question for me would be what OS are you wanting to run primarily? For Windows 98, I wouldn't go stronger than Geforce4.

That's a very good question. But for a 2003 build, i think i's more logic to use XP. Or 98/XP dual boot.
(At that time, Win XP is really what made me upgrade my computer. As my early PIII just could not handle it decently.)