VOGONS

Reply 140 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the press setup. I filed off the high spots on the sockets and trimmed the legs of the black LIF socket.

Here is a better pic of how to modify the interstitial socket.

And as you can see the swaged part of the pin is now pressed into the pcb. It actually takes a considerable amount of vice pressure to press this in.

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 141 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay here is the second one: this turned out really well. I’m going to put this in a system and try out the press fit to see how it does. (I have doubts) but a solderless solution would be amazing!

On next version I have to make the clip solder ridges stronger, they are peeling off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 143 of 221, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick question, can one of these things allow a Tilly to run unmodded on any socket 7 board ?

I have a board here that can go as low as 2v but it would be nice to have my other socket 7 boards be able to run a Tilly without modding the chip itself.

Reply 144 of 221, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-05, 16:46:
How is that? (Look at first post now) […]
Show full quote

How is that? (Look at first post now)

Changes in next version:

Need to work on silk screen a little, make pin cut circles more visible also add circle for socket 5 key pin.

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-05, 11:17:

I don't think it should be that difficult to slide the pieces together, unless it's a pressure fit and there isn't enough clearance, it the holes aren't lined up properly.

I’m actually okay with the tight fit. It’s certainly because of press fit of the hole and pin size.

Personally, I want to also solder it better like as in maybe solder paste?, but I’m thinking of trying out the next one with press fit only, just to see what happens and not trying to heat it. I think I am comfortable enough now to put this in a system I care about and take it for a real spin.

Thanks! I think it is quite clear. It would replace the need for a har-to-come-by MMX overdrive for my Compaq Prolinea socket 5 system I try to find love for.

Reply 145 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:07:

For what?

The the spade tabs are perfect. The pcb sits right on the socket so thru hole is kinda iffy. And a properly tight spade should be up to the task. Of course I can modify the pad for any special requests, and if a better idea is had we can use that. But spades are hardware store level common so this goes with making it accessible to people and cheap.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:12:

Quick question, can one of these things allow a Tilly to run unmodded on any socket 7 board ?

I have a board here that can go as low as 2v but it would be nice to have my other socket 7 boards be able to run a Tilly without modding the chip itself.

Yes. Actually it is designed to do exactly that.

Okay, second unit, second test.

You can see that the post card has - - with no power to interposer

And with power it posts.

It is working with mere press fit.

I will put it through its paces though.

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-08-05, 18:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 146 of 221, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:43:
For what? […]
Show full quote

For what?

Well I put my hand up to buy one when they hit the shelves !

From teh looks of it Im guessing its a similar principal to the Overdrive chips that had their own voltage regulator on them but taken several steps further.

Also .. what is that in teh second CPU socket, it looks like a modded Tilly with a bunch of SMDs on the top. (I know its not but hell if it doesnt look like one from a distance)

Reply 147 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:48:
Well I put my hand up to buy one when they hit the shelves ! […]
Show full quote
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-05, 18:43:
For what? […]
Show full quote

For what?

Well I put my hand up to buy one when they hit the shelves !

From teh looks of it Im guessing its a similar principal to the Overdrive chips that had their own voltage regulator on them but taken several steps further.

Also .. what is that in teh second CPU socket, it looks like a modded Tilly with a bunch of SMDs on the top. (I know its not but hell if it doesnt look like one from a distance)

This is looking very good so far. A few more small changes and it might be ready soon.

Does anyone have advice on how this could be soldered? I mean the press fit seems to be working but I would prefer to solder it.

The first one I tried to solder and it didn’t turn out well to say the least 🤣. That LIF melts 😢

Anyway,

I just ran a 3dmark 99 demo at 400 mhz on a k6-3+ and it worked flawlessly on press fit. (To my surprise and joy)

This wire got pretty warm though (as expected, it’s what I had laying around for a quick rig up)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 148 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing in the second socket is my “processor imposter” it’s a tweaker designed to look like a cpu and give the tweaks for the primary cpu but from the second socket. (Pentiums that can dual don’t need any tweaks so it all works out)

Earlier when I said clip solder ridges I was talking about under the heatsink clips there are pads to keep the clip from sliding off.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 149 of 221, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im sitting here looking at a 2.2v MII 333GP and wondering if I can OC the snot out of it and get it to 433GP speeds ....

ITs one of the grey top MIIs from that well known Chinese seller 😁

I know this has nothing to do with the topic here but I know you like Cryix MII 2v cpus 😜

Reply 150 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m betting you can get to or near 350mhz

Yes the 2.2v mII are the best. They aren’t undervolted btw. They are actually 2.2v cores

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 151 of 221, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll be happy to make these available once it has been finalized. I also don't think that you would need to solder every pin, just enough so that it isn't at risk of sliding loose. This can be done with a fine tipped iron.

I don't think we'll be able to do much better than that without wave soldering.

Reply 152 of 221, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-05, 19:29:

I'll be happy to make these available once it has been finalized. I also don't think that you would need to solder every pin, just enough so that it isn't at risk of sliding loose. This can be done with a fine tipped iron.

I don't think we'll be able to do much better than that without wave soldering.

How about a small bit of hot glue to hold them together, it shouldn't be conductive and will handle the heat from the CPU just fine.

Reply 155 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran the second one for some time at 400 mhz only pressed together. All seems just fine 😀

I also tried to pull apart the first botched one I did it moves but isn’t easy to pull apart.

A glue may actually not be a horrible idea.

That’s that hot glue like stuff that dries from a liquid? I found it on some tyan mobos front panels headers a few times.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 156 of 221, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do any of you have any suggestions/special requests before I start on the next (possibly release) version?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 159 of 221, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-08-06, 13:47:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-25, 05:38:

Crimping spades is easier than soldering terminal blocks.

it really isn't, crimping fucking sucks

I agree. I much prefer terminal blocks. Soldering takes a few seconds and is a guaranteed connection.