VOGONS

First post, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I need to replace the ATX power supply of a ECS P6BAP-A+ that blowed up.
I've no PSU so I do not be able to find any suitable replacement.
Currenty I do not have any ISA card.
Ideally, the MB has ISA slots so I should buy a second hand PSU with -5V. But this are hard to find and sometimes capactors are bad.
I think a P4 ATX PSU can be a good solution.
The old PC has a pentium 3 and 64 MB RAM, a graphic card (now a S3 but I also have a Voodoo 3), a PATA hard drive and a PATA cdrom drive.
How much would it consume?
How much current do I need to have on the 5 volt and 3.3 volt lines?

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 1 of 2, by CWEastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a P6BAT-A+ with celeron, gpu, sound card, cd rom drive, ssd, fan controller, 3 case fans. I purchased a cheap EVGA 500-BQ which has 20A on the 5v, 20A on the 3.3v and 41A on the 12v. So far its been fine. Part of the reason I picked it was because it has a 20+4 connector. I couldn't fit a 24 solid connector. If your motherboard can fit a 24 solid and if you don't mind a non modular psu your options will open up. There's no -5v rail but if you don't have any ISA cards it won't matter.

Motherboard: P6BAT-A+ Rev2.0
CPU: Celeron Socket 370 400/128/66
RAM: 3 Micron 128mb PC100
GPU: PNY Verto GeForce 2 MX 400

Reply 2 of 2, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look up the TDP of your chip here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_P … microprocessors
Voodoo3 has 15 W, S3 probably negligible.
Add up CPU and VGA watts, add 100 % to play it safe and divide by 5 to get the ampere on 5 V.
Pretty sure you're still around 100 W and 20 A which almost any PSU will have, including most recent ones.

HDD and CD-ROM are not that much. It's written on the device.

If you buy a new PSU for a 23 years old system, you risk that the system might short circuit and kill the PSU, so better not do that.
Also, it will mean that you have too much money in which case you should not buy a new PSU for a 23 year old system but give that money to charity.

Hope that helps.

I like jumpers.