VOGONS

First post, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m trying to get this Transcend 2GB 133 CF card partitioned as a hard drive for my XT-CF Lite.

Problem is that every time I try to partition it on Fdisk (MS-Dos 5.0), the computer simply freezes when I choose create primary partition. I’ve successfully partitoned a microdrive with the same setup.

I’ve restored the CF card in OSX but that doesn’t create a partition I could simply format in DOS.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 20, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try manually configuring the disk parameters in the BIOS. For the SE440BX-2 board I own, if I use any consumer-grade (I haven't used industrial) Compact Flash greater than 8GB, I have to manually set disk detection to "manual" and LBA to "enabled." Then I can partition the disk, but I then have to "disable" LBA in the BIOS while still leaving disk detection to "manual" once partitioning is finished.

Reply 4 of 20, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:23:

Try manually configuring the disk parameters in the BIOS. For the SE440BX-2 board I own, if I use any consumer-grade (I haven't used industrial) Compact Flash greater than 8GB, I have to manually set disk detection to "manual" and LBA to "enabled." Then I can partition the disk, but I then have to "disable" LBA in the BIOS while still leaving disk detection to "manual" once partitioning is finished.

Is it possible to access the XT-IDE bios somehow? The Schneider EuroPCs own bios is very limited regarding hard drive configuration.

Reply 5 of 20, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have an OSX x86, I highly recommend getting virtualbox to attach the CF in “raw mode” so you can attach it to a VM as a physical disk. Then attach a Windows 98 boot Floppy image so the VM boots from that, and of course that includes FDISK and format for partitioning. I do all my imaging and prep these days on my OSX iMac 2011 using this.

Reply 6 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroBard wrote on 2022-04-09, 15:21:
Meatball wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:23:

Is it possible to access the XT-IDE bios somehow? The Schneider EuroPCs own bios is very limited regarding hard drive configuration.

Thought that is what the XTIDECFG.COM was for, it has sub menu's for reading/changing/etc settings in the EEPROM iirc

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroBard wrote on 2022-04-09, 15:21:

I don't know what's wrong but you shouldn't need to, adding to my previous post "the CF Lite with this card is confirmed to work on a EuroPC". With the HDD set to none in the EuroPC BIOS of course. Just to make sure, the card is recognized by the XT-IDE and only fails fdisk right?

Reply 9 of 20, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it’s worth I had to use a Cisco 256MB card with a XT-IDE adapter on a Olivetti M240 because anything larger than that, or from other brands, would not work properly. Not exactly the same symptom as your case, but the PC would hang when installing DOS, always when getting to 98%.

Also had some troubles with card compatibility on a Schneider 386SX.

If you have the means, it would be a good idea to try different cards.

Reply 10 of 20, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently had an issue where while my BIOS detected my 4GB CF card, attempting to create partitions in FDISK would freeze.

This was on an ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 based 486 build.

As it turned out it was the BIOS. I needed to update it so that it allowed LBA support. Now, it does not freeze and FDISK creates primary, extended and logical partitions on the 4GB CF card just fine.

Maybe or maybe not your issue, but in generally typically if FDISK is "freezing" it means the computer is not recognizing the HDD media properly. I have to mention I never use those "133" CF cards either. Those are UDMA MODE 6 cards and not very compatible with older hardware. Only use PIO cards. I bet if anything that is your issue.

Reply 11 of 20, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured that might be the case. It’s getting harder to get small capacity and PIO cards locally. I need to go eBay for those. I guess I’ll keep just using the microdrive until I can get a replacement.

Reply 12 of 20, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroBard wrote on 2022-04-11, 04:28:

I figured that might be the case. It’s getting harder to get small capacity and PIO cards locally. I need to go eBay for those. I guess I’ll keep just using the microdrive until I can get a replacement.

I have purchased a few (three in the past week) Verbatim 4GB PIO cards on Amazon new for $12 and change. I don't know where they got em, but they work great with my 486 using the StarTech IDE to CF adapter 😉

They even have the 2GB version still available:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009967Y/ … 00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Someone in those reviews actually calls out using it with the XT-IDE, so I think you should be good to go with this for $12 😀

Reply 13 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might try FDISK from FreeDOS. I’ve found it to be more forgiving, reliable, useful etc than the old MS-DOS FDISK. It even lets you create multiple primary partitions.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 14 of 20, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-04-11, 04:50:

You might try FDISK from FreeDOS. I’ve found it to be more forgiving, reliable, useful etc than the old MS-DOS FDISK. It even lets you create multiple primary partitions.

Even if he is able to make it partition there it is still going to have issues (software corruption) in the host system. It is because it is a UDMA card. He needs a proper card that is more compatible with PATA.

Reply 15 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the CF adapter in question sport DMA data lines, at all ?
Because, the lower end versions that I do own don't.
They're fine for DOS and PIO 0 to 3, but not so much for Windows 9x (has DMA option in Device Manager).

PS: Be careful with PIO4. It used to have reliability issues.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 20, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroBard wrote on 2022-04-12, 18:17:

I bought a 512 MB Sandisk card from ebay. I’ve had a pretty good track record with Sandisk cards, so let’s see how it goes with this one, when it arrives.

I have a bunch of these. It'll work fine. I do however like the vast storage (well, vast in DOS!) of the 4GB cards. And, they are new!

Reply 19 of 20, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received the Sandisk 512 MB CF today. FDisk worked all right and I was able to format it and install MS-DOS 5.0 on it. It boots nice and quiet and I gather it’ll be more reliable than the microdrive.